Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a youtube video or website or anything on removing a bumper.
A new bumper will make her look better.
Well a new rear bumper might help too

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Rear- easy. Pull the bolts in the trunk for the brackets and roll it out and off the car as an assembly- remove the brackets once off. Reverse the process making sure the brackets are aligned fisrt before snugging them home.
Front- PITA. IF you have small hands AND the bolts aren't seized, you might be able to remove it without too much struggle. Otherwise you may need to pull the bumper guards (if still there), and possible loosen frame mounts to allow access to the bumper bolts. Many times I've run across misalignment from damage that caused the bolts to be obscured. You may also find that along with the bumper, you'll need the bumper brackets anyway as they tend to rust pretty bad... at least around here. Tape on nice paint is a must as well. If using repop bumpers, the edges are often razor sharp, so wear gloves. I got my last set from NPD- Golden Legion maybe as I recall? Fit and finish was spot on.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I broke a frame bolt on my front bumper, then the captured nut came off of the interior frame tab. I real pia. I suggest a liberal application of heat three times followed by penetrating oil. It's an easy job if you don't break the bolts.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
It is highly likely that the nuts on the chrome headed carriage bolts are rusted solid and an extreme PITA to remove.. Since you will be replacing the bumper just grind the heads off of those bolts and replace them along with the bumper.
The bumper mounting brackets are bolted to the frame with nuts that are "captured" inside the frame rails. If you twist one of those nuts loose from the frame you are in for a cut & weld repair job.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Front- PITA. IF you have small hands AND the bolts aren't seized, you might be able to remove it without too much struggle. Otherwise you may need to pull the bumper guards (if still there), and possible loosen frame mounts to allow access to the bumper bolts.
No, front bumper easy.
  • Remove the bumper guards.
  • Remove the headlights
  • Disconnect the parking lamps
  • Remove the front valence panel
  • Remove the four large bumper bracket to frame bolts, and slide the assembly out the front of the rails.

·
Registered
35,887 Posts
Really easy. Grab a twenty, run down to your nearest buddy with a set or oxy-acetylene cutting torches, and have him "zap" the bumper bolt heads off. If you're lucky he also has a dumpster....

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
No, front bumper easy.
  • Remove the bumper guards.
  • Remove the headlights
  • Disconnect the parking lamps
  • Remove the front valence panel
  • Remove the four large bumper bracket to frame bolts, and slide the assembly out the front of the rails.
Ideally- correct. Realistically, you forgot frame bolts snapped off flush, j-clips broken off and bolts spinning freely, as well as siezed front apron bolts that spin and cut through the sheet metal. I wish it were as easy as you say.... but I’m in Iowa- the rust belt! Lol

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Hard/Easy....? This is the question.
1. Have tools
2. Front of Rear?
4. Check with YouTube?
3. Apply your tools.
5. Done.
6 Reverse to install

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
I sprayed everything with a generous amount of PB Blaster three days in a row, let it do its thing and the whole job was simple. .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts