Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight was the first night I have had the stang out after dark. I flipped on the headlights and I could only see right in front of me. The Visibility really sucked. I was almost scared to drive it home. Maybe I don't have my headlights adjusted properly? Or is there somthing keeping me from getting the power to the lights? Or is this the best its gonna get?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Define night vision. You mean the old original yellow lights? I switched to standard halogen lights ($10-15 each) from Pep Boys and it made a big difference.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought new lights for it. They cost around 15 bucks each, and as far as I know they are halogen.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Make sure your headlights aren't sideways are turned upside down. I did that before!!

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Check the grounds at both headlights.

If you decide to replace your headlights with halogen you will prolly want to install some relays as well. There was a post earlier tonight on just this subject.

·
Registered
553 Posts
while you may not be able to light the local home team football games you should be able to see a safe distance ahead even with the old headlights. my guess is they need to be adjusted, i had a diagram on how to adjust the lights by parking a certain distance away from a wall and making a few marks, but i cant seem to find it. it could be in the owners manual or the shop manual... not sure

or maybe you didnt eat enough carrots as a kid! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
You might want to get your eyes checked....

Looks like you've got road-train lighting on the front of that Pony...hehehe

Seriously, check your system output voltage with the lights on and, as others mentioned, connections and aiming.....I'll assume you're running relays for those biguns in the middle, yes? If not, it's a good way to fry up a headlight switch and/or wiring or constantly blow fuses...

What happens when you hit the high beams?? *G*

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, at this point I don't have the middle lights hooked up. I have the connectors and such, but I have been lazy and put it off for that reason. I will have to get relays for those lights.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
If you want bright buy the Wagner Brite-Lite Xenon Lights (NPD part number 13007-1BL .) They are 55 watt lamps so you should use a relay (expecially for 4) unless your wiring is in the best possible condition. I've been using these in my daily driver without relays for about a year with no problem, but I have gone through my electrical system very thorougly. I've had many club members comment on how bright my headlights are.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,213 Posts
Proper aiming can make all the difference. They don't have to be off much to make you think you're blind.
After riding in my truck once SWMBO demanded to know why that if my truck only had 2 lights and her car had 4, why the hell mine worked so much better. I finally got around to REALLY checking her lights. EEK. One aimed at the ditch, one at the trees, one at some airplane, etc. Heh, heh,well they looked sorta lined up. All halogens in good working order but she was right, it was awful. After proper alignment she can now actually see where she's going.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts