Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or is this Gas thing getting outta hand? Drove by Safeway this morning and their $1.95 on regular! I've got a new full size truck coming from Scotty....not sure I'm going to be able to afford ta drive it ::

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Define "out of hand". It's a deregulated industry driven solely by supply and demand. Plus, we in WA state have a very limited number of suppliers (four in the Seattle area vs. 200+ in Houston) and that keeps prices up too.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that maybe we're a bit spoiled compared to some....I just don't recall Ever paying $1.95 a gallon for Regular gas! And maybe I've missed something, but other than some BS....I haven't heard of a real good reason "why" yet!

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
That's easy... because they can charge that much. Surprisingly, oil companies are not out for the betterment of mankind, there are few price controls, and I don't see anything changing from the federal level with the current administration.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Steve....your just pretty much confirming "my" same thoughts! *astards! :eek:

Its pretty much a given....the boat will be sitting this weekend!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Paid $2.01 for reg on Sunday. And I live within 20 miles of 2 refineries. I was thinking about the ole gas and run. Then I remembered I used my cc at the pump. In the next town over, there are two stations across from each other. Texaco and Tesoro. Both owned by the same people. One was $1.89 and the other $2.11. When I drove by there were 3 cars at the high station and none at the cheaper.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just seems like there was a bigger stink when prices hit $1.80 -1.90 last year then we're hearing now at $2.00? Have we just gotten used to the fact? and accepting it?

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Given up?

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Paid $1.75 For Diesel the other day and have seen it @$1.89 + recently. Fortunately, me and SWMBO can carpool most days, but still have to pay $1.80 + per gal to fill her SUV.

When I bought my Powerstroke in July 2001, diesel was $.85 a gal and regular unleaded was around $.97, then all hell broke loose and prices jumped up to a whopping $1.75. Back then I told SWMBO this was just the excuse the oil CO's needed to gouge us some more and that we'd never see fuel prices bellow $1.50. For the most part I was right. Just recently, some price came down to $1.47 ($1.37 for diesel) but that's gone now.

Brian's right in that the upcoming holiday weekend has allot to do with the recent gouging, but I'm sure we'll not see fuel prices under $1.50 prices in this state again!

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
This doesn't help anyone too much, but consider that $1 / gallon during the 1973 oil embargo is about $4.14 today.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I recall those days. There would be lines around the block waiting for their turn at the pump. You never knew how much they would allow you to have until you got to the pump. Sometimes it was only 5 gallons. Sometimes they ran out of gas before you made it to the pump. It was really kinda scary not knowing if you'd have enough fuel to get to work and back for the week.

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Steve ; remember the embargo well .Next door neighbors son sold his Boss 429 gas guzzler for $2500.00 and was lucky to get that !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts