Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of installing my new trunk floor and finish welding my inner fender wells to the trunk floor. I am also going to be replacing the trunk drop off in the front of the gas tank (by the rear seat) but my parts supplier won't have one to me for another week. Is it ok to fully weld the trunk floor, inner fender wells together? Or should I wait? If I wait is it OK to install my full-length floorboards in the driver’s side while the trunk is apart? I only have the rear driver’s side apart (Doing 1 side at a time)

By the way, for the ppl that responded to my earlier post about the inner and outer wheel wells fitting wrong. Thank You. Everyone's advise and a little patience got it all to fit, kind of.... its as good as its going to get, no one will ever see it.

Anyways, thanks for the help in advance,
Jason

G

·
0 Posts
Regarding your previous work. As long as it looks good on the outside, its good.

Use a liberal application of seal sealer on all the inside mistakes and no one will be the wiser.

Regarding welding in the trunk floor before the trunk drop-off: I didn't investigate this on my car, and its back together, so I can't really go look. However....Investigate where all the spot welds are and how the parts go together. If it looks like you can remove the parts separately without screwing up other panels, then yes you can do the panels in any order. When you do weld in the trunk drop-off, at least tack it to the old trunk floor, then things will still be in alignment if you move the car.

If the trunk droip-off fits well and there is no need to move it to fit the trunk floor, then you can weld it to the inner fender. Personally, I'd wait.

You are more likely to keep things square if you replace them one at a time.

You should be able to replace the floorboards while wiating for your other panels to arrive. Do one side at a time as you apparently have already planned to do. You will be removing the seat perches as well. They will be rusty underneath, but no need to relace them if its just surface rust. Get out the wire wheel or sandblaster and clean them up. Apply rust inhibiting primer (except where you spot weld) before installation. If you are tall, you could move the seat perches aft and cut down the height a bit.

Make sure that the car is supported at the rear axle and the front control arms so that the car is carrying its weight correctly before welding in the floorboards. Ifthe doors are on the car, check the door fit occasionally to make sure that nothing has warped.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I got the seat perch off last night and am starting the floor today.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the whole floor out today, from the steering shaft hole to the rear floor extension. got everything cleaned up, and got the rear extension welded in. So far so good.

Thanks again for the help,
Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts