Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Behind a FE that is?

A TKO 600 isn't bad at about $2000, but it is everything else that adds up so I am wondering if I can do it cheaper with junkyard parts.

For example, I am wondering if I can get a old iron bellhousing rather than pay $500 for a steel one? Problem is that I have seen cable clutch systems that say they will not work with the stock bellhousing. I can't use a stock type z-bar because apparently it won't work with my Borgeson steering box. I am unsure if any of the hydraulic systems will work because I have a larger than stock diameter brake booster.

Also, will a TKO 600 bolt to a stock bellhousing or is a adapter plate required?

I don't think I will have a problem making a cross member so I will save money there.

Mike

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Why would you buy a TKO and use anything less than an SFI approved bellhousing? If you're putting down enough power to warrant buying a TKO, then you probably shouldn't cheapen out on the bell housing.

Anyway, here's the list of parts you'll need for an auto to manual swap. The parts are essentially the same, the prices will be different for some of the componnents since the T5 setup is way more common than the TKO.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/619002-t5-swap-heres-my-list-total-parts-w-cost.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would you buy a TKO and use anything less than an SFI approved bellhousing? If you're putting down enough power to warrant buying a TKO, then you probably shouldn't cheapen out on the bell housing.

Anyway, here's the list of parts you'll need for an auto to manual swap. The parts are essentially the same, the prices will be different for some of the componnents since the T5 setup is way more common than the TKO.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/619002-t5-swap-heres-my-list-total-parts-w-cost.html
It is a mild built 428, probably about 400hp below 5000 rpm but still too much for a T5.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
What about a T56? Seems like that would handle the torque and be possible to find used, or will they not fit in the trans tunnel?

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Why mess around with a cast bellhousing just to save a few bucks? Unless you have a stock motor and you drive like Ms. Daisy, I would strongly recommend a scatter shield. Not only will it protect you, but it will protect your car from something like this happening to you,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts