Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
VMF Ambassador
6,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I've read, the 1956 big bearing 9" rear I have should have a 2.36" offset. I just went out into the shop to double check and... Came up with 2"?? What am I missing here? I measured from front of axle housing to front of wheel mounting surface.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I believe that the measurement is to the axle housing's flange. You have the backing plate and retainer plate in the way.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doh! I thought that the plate I was measuring to was the axle housing - thought that the drum backing plate bolted on from behind.

Reactions: CJM68GT390

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Doh! I thought that the plate I was measuring to was the axle housing - thought that the drum backing plate bolted on from behind.
Well, you are working with a 64 year old housing so no telling what could be forgotten or go wrong! See what happens when you're "forced" to stay home?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts

Here’s a good video from Baer that shows how to do it, too.

Rusty

·
VMF Ambassador
6,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So now I'm curious, what does one do with this measurement?
One uses this measurement to make sure that they're buying the right brakes for their rear end :)

Green67 - thanks, confirms that the offset is 2.36"! I imagine that mine is the same as there's no way that the backing plate and the retainer can be 1/2" thick collectively... so it must be the 2.36" as well.

Reactions: dobrostang

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah. I’ve gone down some of the roads as you. I just got the rearend and planned to use the 11x2.5 drums. Then realized there are few available. I did find one source at $100 a drum. Then thought by the time rebuild these I should look at disc options. I found there are less options available in big bearing old style ends. I’m thinking of going to older galaxy drums wich I believe are bolt on and drums are cheaper.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah. I’ve gone down some of the roads as you. I just got the rearend and planned to use the 11x2.5 drums. Then realized there are few available. I did find one source at $100 a drum. Then thought by the time rebuild these I should look at disc options. I found there are less options available in big bearing old style ends. I’m thinking of going to older galaxy drums wich I believe are bolt on and drums are cheaper.
Ha! Mine came with 11x2" drums... even more oddball. They are hard to find and pricey indeed.

I just bought a set of Wilwood 11" rear discs for a big bearing Ford rear end off Amazon for $650 - I will post a thread when I install them! I hope that they will bolt up pretty quickly and, with a new MC, end my braking woes once and for all.

Reactions: CJM68GT390

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Kelly, I didn't realize you and Jane had braking issues. Are you planning anything fun, or just upgrading to end trouble and have nicer than before ? LSG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts