Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My intake on my 66 Mustang is coded C4OE-9425-B, That would make it a 64. Is it possible to have an original engine with a intake code that far back? :: Would California Emissions have anything to do with this?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AHH! I see! This is good news.I did find another set of number an the intake: 3H29. The build date on the door is 04K. I guess I should drop the starter just to be 100% sure I have the original engine. The car is supposed to be a numbers matching 66 GT Fastback, the only thing I haven't checked yet is the VIN on the engine.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
There won't be a VIN on the engine unless it is a K code car, even then there might not be a VIN. Look for the assembly date code stamped on the pad just above the fuel pump.

Edited to add I would expect to see at least C5 castings on a '66 car. Assembly date stamping will tell the story...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's an A code car, but I don't see anything stamped around the fuel pump. Do you have a pic or something?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
There is a pad on the block just below the heads that faces up. There should be a date code stamped there. You may have to do a little cleaning to see it. There is also a date code cast into the intake. My guess is at one time someone installed an aftermarket intake and whoever brought the car back grabbed whatever 4bbl intake they could find.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Not possible on a 66 Mustang, not possible probably on most 1965 Mustangs even. Bob Mannels book lists it mainly for 1964 models, so some 64.5 Mustangs maybe. The casting date- the 3H29 puts it at an August 29, 1963- the very earliest of 1964 car production, a good two years in advance of any 1966 Mustang production (which would begin in August of 1965). By June or so of 1965 even 1965 Mustangs and other Ford smallblock 4V's were using the C6OE-B intake.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I missed the casting date in the original post. No, this intake is not original to the car. Original engine is still possible, need more info...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like my upper end was changed for California emissions. I have a sticker on my pass. inner fender that says: This car is equipped with a Kar-Kit NOX system, it says that my vac. advance and mechanical are fixed and not to re-connect the vac. advance, and gives the corrected timing settings. My intake has an abortion set-up coming out of where the 64 Mustangs ran road draft tubes, I don't know if it's an early EGR set-up or just some kind of deverter valve, but this explains why they would use an early intake on it. I was told they blocked that hole off in 65 when they came out with P.C.V. systems. It looks like the heads are Therm-Actor heads, I have a tube comming out of each head, and the heads have numbers stamped in the side of them, it looks like:14419TA and a 12 is cast into the top of the head next to the valve cover in the lower corner. The tubes go to what was once I believe, an A.I.R. pump. The pump is gone, but the mounting brackets and tubes that connected to it are still there. Doe's anyone else have this set-up on their Mustang that was built in Cal. and shipped to Cal.? It looks like a factory set-up to me.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Quote: "I guess I should drop the starter just to be 100% sure I have the original engine. The car is supposed to be a numbers matching 66 GT Fastback, the only thing I haven't checked yet is the VIN on the engine. "

As previously noted, there won't be a VIN on the engine. For old Mustangs (except "K" codes and Shelbys) there is no way to prove a block is original. The best you can show is that it is consistent from an assembly date stand point, but that does not prove it. "Numbers matching" is a term that doesn't apply to Mustangs the same as it applies to other makes.

John Harvey

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
If you are interested in figuring out what you've got, get a copy of Bob Manell's book on small block Ford engines. It is quite detailed and thorough. From what you've posted, it appears that the engine in your car currently is not the original due to casting/build dates being incompatible. As far as the Nox emission sticker, your intake would not have been modified as part of the mid 1970's retrofit program unless it was drilled for an egr valve. IIRC 289 cars originally sold new in California in '65 and later had a PCV valve and no draft tube, so your draft tube intake must either be for a non-California car or from an earlier than '65 model.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The date on the door tag is 04K, Oct 65. The engine code is 6J26U, Sep 66? Is it possible this engine was actually built in 65 but stamped with a 6 because of the model year?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
"The date on the door tag is 04K, Oct 65. The engine code is 6J26U, Sep 66? Is it possible this engine was actually built in 65 but stamped with a 6 because of the model year? "

No you can't have a car build sometime in October (projected build dates from the door tag can be off as much as 3 weeks) and have an engine assemblied (the number stamped on the drivers side pad of the engine) almost a year later

1 - 17 of 17 Posts