Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing some speakers in my 67 convertible. Behind the rear seat there is steel that it looks like i could open a couple holes large enough to put in some smaller sub woofers. It looks to me like the only purpose of the structure behind the seat is is to build a platform to hold the seat back. So the question is, Does the structured steel behind the back seat have any major impact on the overall strength of the car to act as a unibody frame?

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
Yes it is part of the structurl integraty of the vehicle. You can trim the edges a little bit, but don't make any substantial cuts.

G

·
0 Posts
Its a shear panel. You should leave it.

You could put in some tubular cross braces (properly welded in).

If you were to cover the entire area with a sheet of steel and then cut out for the speakers, you would probably be OK. You would have to weld in the panel or use some structural adhesive and sheet metal screws. My vote is to leave it alone.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I love that Fred! You have your priorities in order. First you gotta get the music right, then you are properly set up to go fast.

J. Boggs

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm not sure how closely a 67 parallels a 66, but mine has lot's of factory holes already and I'd bet enlarging them a tad wouldn't make much of a difference. BUT, I'd make sure you didn't end up restricting the top well area. The top might not like something using it's space when you fold it back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts