Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the brake/clutch pedal support the same for and automatic and manual?
TIA

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572917&a=11954864&p=43865988.jpg

·
Registered
673 Posts
In 68, yes they're the same... I don't know about 65 tho.

Obviously, the pedals are different tho :)

Thespazardman

G

·
0 Posts
would it also be same for 67 then?

1967 Fastback, 289, C-code, AT, PS,
dark moss green, parchment interior,
GT rear valance and tips

·
Registered
673 Posts
I bought two setups (long story, hehe) for auto to clutch conversions, one from a 67 and one from a 68, and they're practically identical.

The only difference I've seen is (many people have said I was full of poo on this one) that the bracket for the manual brakes has nuts (not the sexual kind, the steel ones, like mine :) tack welded to the bracket, so when you mount the master cylinder directly to the firewall, you just slip bolts through the master cylinder, through the firewall and into the tack welded nuts on the support.

HOWEVER, on a power brake setup, the booster has studs sticking out of it on the firewall side, so when you put the booster against the firewall, the studs go through the holes in the firewall and into the bracket, requiring free spinning nuts to connect to the support.

When I originally did my power brake conversion I had to torch those nuts off the support and use some new grade 8's from the hardware store.

The clutch pedal shaft on the clutch pedal slips through a hole on one side of the "brake and clutch pedal support", through the brake pedal and through the other side of the support on both 67 and 68. This "hole" that the clutch pedal shaft slips through is present for both the auto and manual tranny setups.

Boy, hope that made sense :)

Oh, and I checked on the 64-66 support. The aftermarket support does not differentiate between manual and auto tranny. Nor does it differentiate between power and non-power brakes... so I'd say if you're changing tranny types, or brake types, you're probably ok with your bracket... need a lot of other parts tho :)

Thespazardman

1 - 4 of 4 Posts