Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have been thinking about this. It is going to be a long time before I can afford to get an AOD then pump the rear end up to 3.90's or 4.11's. So My question. Is it worth in the mean time to go to 3.50 over my 3.25'swill there be enough of a diffrance to even bother? I would also change the tranny speedo gear. We like to travel in the FBD so decent highway gearing is a must. Plus I like the quick get up and go. I have the 3speed C6. It would not cost much to do the said change and cost is a factor here.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
in my not so humble opinion, you WILL see a difference... but as you said, cost is a factor. I would wait. From the sounds of it, you would much rather a 3.90 or higher numerical gear AND AOD than the 3.50's... save your cash and do it the way you are wanting it. You will be happier in the end.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Not worth it.

At 60 mph it would be approx 200 rpm difference on a 25 inch tire.

Wait till you can do the "good gears" and new tranny.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I didn't build for the kind of burnouts like you have but I think you might be satisfied for a while if you do the AOD first and then see what happens.
With the 5.0 I still have a decent acceleration and can burn the tires with a 3:00....

·
Registered
400 Posts
I guess these are all opinions, I would vote for saving the money to go to the AOD. I have to believe with the big block you have, the gear is really only going to hurt your acceleration unless you are running slicks. Enjoy the car this summer, and put the AOD/3.90 in over the winter at the same time.

Good Luck,
Glenn

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
for every .25 ratio change, the engine rpms will change by 400. something to think about

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I ran 3:90's on the street..I didn't think they were to steep..but of course I was 20 years old at the time..*LOL*..I would keep what you have..the 3:50's won't make that much of a difference..what do you want to do anyway..burn those tires down to the rims?..*LOL*

G

·
0 Posts
You may want to check into the AOD a little further. If your 429 is anything but stock you may have trouble holding any AOD together behind that engine especially if you enjoy the smell of burning rubber on a frequent basis. I know the mpg is tempting but multiple tranny changes aren't much fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts