Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy was swmbo upst with me!(but she got over it :p)3 weeks ago, my oldest daughters boy-friend approached me and ask my permission(or approval) to ask my daughter to marry him.He is a great kid(ok..hes 28 :p), with a great job (Investment accountant)with a good future, and a very level headed guy in general.They have been "dating" since college 5 years ago.They live a hour and 1/2 apart, so its been a long distance romance.My daughter is a 4th grade teacher, so they get to spend more time together in the summer and other holiday vacations.After I gave him my blessings, he ask that I not tell ANYONE ...including swmbo,as he had a plan, and wanted to suprise my daughter. He was afraid that swmbo may let something "slip" to one of the other 3 daughters, and it get back to the oldest....so....I didnt tell her anything....well...when my daughter called home this weekend after he "popped" the question,and broke the news to swmbo...I was gone, and when swmbo asked her if she wanted to be the one to tell me, or was it ok if swmbo told me...My daughter informed her, that I already knew and had known for 3 weeks :eek: Boy..was she mad for not telling her....after all "she can keep quiet"...I told her, it was Troys(the boyfriend) wishes, and I promised him I would let them be the ones to "announce "it...well...she knows I was right, but still dont know how I could keep quiet about for 3 weeks ::
So I guess after all these years of being married and living with swmbo and 34 daughters, it looks like the "sons" might start rolling in(though after 5 years, I already considered him "part of the family")

Now the fun begins...We live near Sandusky...Daughter in Fremont..BF in Columbus and his Family in Iowa...I guess thats for swmbo, Daughter and the "new" mother in law to figure out :p ::....I guess now I have something else that will take my money away from the Mustang for another year or 2 :(...but as always..Its back burner to the family..just something to "play" with when I have time and money.....thnx to anyone who made it through this long post, I just had to share :D

Joe

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Well congrats on the news. Sounds like they've taken the safe approach to getting married....waiting.

I had this nice long post going about advice and how we had our wedding. Then I realized it didn't matter. Wish them luck and tell them to have fun. Even if it rains, or the food stinks, have fun. Honest, that's all the advice I'm giving.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
My swmbo says your swmbo should get over it. ::
Generally, secrets are a bad thing but under the circumstances your actions are perfectly understandable, particularly if your living with 35 women
So I guess after all these years of being married and living with swmbo and 34 daughters,
That's some accomplishment. ::

K

·
0 Posts
living with swmbo and 34 daughters,
You deserve a medal just for living in the same house. :D :D :D
And with 33 more weddings I doubt if you will be back in the Mustang hobby anytime soon. :: :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
It seems you missed a great opportunity to teach your son in law a much needed lesson in martital relations. If I was placed in the same situation as you were I would have told him that the first thing you need to learn is that in a GREAT marriage, there are no secrets. Secrets create distance, and once found out a feeling of betrayal. Why would anyone want to do that to the one they supposedly loved. I would have informed him that I MUST tell SWMBO and that she could be trusted. I would have also informed him that if he wanted a strong healthy marriage that he too would treat your duaghter as a confidante in everything. ::

·
Registered
352 Posts
Help your daughter not sweat the small stuff for the wedding. Tons and tons of preparation will go into that day, but it will be over in a heartbeat.

Congrats to your family.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I assume that was a typo--"34 daughters"-because you also mentioned "other three daughters." I hope it was an error or I'd fear for your sanity.

Yes, Joe, keeping that kind of secret from SWMBO is a definite screw up. Son-in-law-to-be needs to understand that not telling SWMBO was tantamount to saying she can't be trusted. Not good. Anyway, I wish your daughter well.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I think, in this circumstance, you did the right thing. Nice touch from the young man in asking permission.... "Enjoy the day above all" is the best advice anyone could have given me, and we did have a blast!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
But she got over it
...yeah, right! What you mean is, she's not currently holding it over my head, but it can resurface at any time, for any reason!

I'm with olddustyrelics. I would have told him that I HAVE to tell SWMBO. If there's one thing I've learned from 24 years of marriage is not keep ANYTHING from her, because she WILL find out eventually.

Anyway, congrats to you and even more so to your daughter!!!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First...I must have fat fingers...I have a total of 4 daughters...guess I should proof my post a little better..lol :eek: and swmbo wasnt really mad, as she said herself, that if she would have known..she would have just HAD to tell someone, as she has been wondering when this event would take place for some time now...thnx to everyone who wished us (them) luck..I know its going to be a great day to look forward to.Now..if I can just get him interested in vintage mustangs...

Joe

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Sage advice from the best friend I have in the world (except swmbo of course)--we were best man in each other's weddings 22 years ago:

They ALWAYS find out!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts