Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking today, you know we always complain about guys who hoard classic cars, saying they will restore them someday when we know they never will and I got to thinking of the cars my wife's dad has in his front yard. I've made comments in jest to him before but seriously this is a little crazy. Here's what he's got just sitting there in his front yard. A '53 (or so) Pontiac Chieftan convertible, a 50 something porsche, a 66 mustang coupe, a 67 mustang coupe, an old MG, a Model T, and up until a few weeks ago a 1st year 240 Z. I have a 66 mustang coupe over there while I try to sell it but I don't think that counts. (anyone want a 66 coupe cheap?) :)

Now the mustangs are a little run of the mill, but an original unrestored MG, or a Chieftan? I mean I bet there are guys who'd love to get their hands on one of those. They just sit there getting rustier and all the while he has plans on restoring them. The thing is, he's pushing 70 lets face it, that's too many cars for a DIY'er to be planning on.

I don't know that there's anything I could, or should do, but I just thought it was interesting all this time we sort of rant about people like that, and one of them is my father in law, god love him! :) :) :)

I should get some paparazzi shots. :)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Well, look at it this way. At least your father-in-law is a "car guy". It could be much worse.

You may have already tried, but if not, maybe you could encourage him to get focused on one project. It can be overwhelming sometimes when you have too much to do and can't quite figure out where to start.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Nothing wrong with having a dream. Maybe he just enjoys looking at them. The cars do deserve to be restored though... :p

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
It's kind of a sad thing, really. I imagine that in his heart he would really like to restore them all, but lacks something or another (money, energy, skill, ambition, whatever) to make it all happen. Hopefully he gets some enjoyment out of dreaming.

We hear about this all the time. I like to give them the benefit of the doubt. :(

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh he always gets the benefit of the doubt. I just found it funny as I was sitting here thinking about it last night. Sooner or later, all of those cars will live a new life. He wouldn't ever let them go to the crusher.

I think of it this way, if I keep helping him with some of those cars maybe I can barter my time for one of them. :) :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts