Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question..

I just bought a 65' (could be 64?) Never owned a carbed vehicle before, much less a 55 year old one.

Anyway, What am I looking at here?

Is this 1960's transmission cooling technology, or do I have a giant hole in my bellhousing? Im a bit confused. I kinda looks like its supposed to be like that, then again visible flexplates make no sense to me. Lilke when looking at you arm, the bone should not be showing...
IMG_1344.JPG

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
There is supposed to be an inspection cover that covers the hole sort of like this one. See those two threaded holes? That's where the cover bolts to.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Your inspection cover is missing. It’s not a big deal .
Mine has been missing since 1984.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, not an emergency then. My heart skipped a beat when I looked under there and saw that. Thanks.

·
Registered
35,886 Posts
Get a cover. A tiny piece of gravel gets in there, and the resulting damage will be very ugly.

Reactions: ophthos

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
This should be the correct cover. Wouldn't hurt to measure the center to center hole distance on your bellhousing and verify before ordering.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
No big deal to make one. When I had a c-4 in my car it was missing so I cut one out of a piece of aluminum flat stock. No need to get fancy, just cover the hole enough keep small birds and rocks from getting in.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yes, Rockinar, you're missing an inspection plate. They are fairly cheap and easy to find. Get one just to keep hard things from bouncing up into your bell housing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts