Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my car today with my dads "help".My fuel gauge wasn't working.I just put
a new fuel cell in the car with a new gauge,and started checking things out when I noticed my fuel
gauge wasn't working.Everything in the car is new or rebuilt, so this was the first trial run for everything.
My dad decided to "help"( before I got a chance to run a test on the sender wire )and put 12v
directly on the stud on the sender.I didnt notice till later that now my fuel gauge is pegged past
the full mark,without any power to it. What can I do to check the gauge and sender or is my goose
cooked? thanks

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
If 12V is left on a gauge for an extended period of time, it's goose. To demonstrate that the gauge is OK, you should ground the wire that goes onto the sending unit, but only briefly...that pegs the gauge. Sorry.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could there be damage to the sender also?anyway to check?

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
If you still have the original fuel gauge, it is not supposed to have 12 full volts to it. That's what the voltage regulator behind the gauge cluster does, step it down to a smaller amount. Midlife will probably have to help you on this one as he is the certified "shorts" expert here. If the 12v was just for a moment, probably no real damage, but if you left it on there for awhile, it is probably fried. Try doing a search on the constant voltage regulator or cvr and see if you can find anything, I am sure there will be more to chime in to help...good luck.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its an aftermarket gauge,and like I said, right now without
any power to it (key off) it still pegged!

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I highly recommend disconnecting right now before it become a loss. Then check all your wiring tommorrow, it sounds like it is shorting somewhere (which I am sure you know)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i did,i disconnected the bat,when i noticed it, its still pegged!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Dads... Gotta love em! Years ago my dad decided to 'help' me by jacking up my car and putting it on jack stands while I wasn't home. He felt I was ruining the tires because they were low or flat. Problem is, he used a bumper jack... So he bent up my brand new bumpers to save some old tires I was throwing out anyway. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts