Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a harmonic balancer make a weird clicking or clanking noise? The reason i say this, is because with the car running and the hood off, I can stand facing the engine from the fender and see the balancer wobble.... No a lot, buy It definetley moves back and forth. Could this cause this noise? I know the noise is comming from the front of the engine.... Im going to get a new alternator, and maybe a power steering pump. I tried locating a new balancer but no one in town can get one.... so am I SOL?

G

·
0 Posts
Is it the original? If it is you should probably get a new one, the balancer is made of two parts, the counterweight itself and the timing ring and they are connected by rubber ring that is probably really deteriorated. The timing ring on my 68 seperated from the rest of the balncer at about 2500rpm and it took out a radiator hose and the timing pointer. It also managed to gouge the timing cover but it didnt break it, good thing I wasn't on the freeway. Try some of the mail order companies, maybe they might have something. I picked mine up from Cal-Mustang.

Dave

·
Registered
560 Posts
Dave,
I had the same problem with mine wobbling, but I did not have any noise with it. I ended up getting a replacement at a junk yard for $20. I know there is a place in California that rebuilds them for around $60. The name of the place is Damper Doc and he has his own web site. I don't think the balancer makes noise when it goes bad, but the wobble is a definite indicator.
Dave

G

·
0 Posts
I have noticed my engine has a similar set of symptoms. The balencer wobbles a little and there is a noise that sounds like a small pebble or something bouncing around somewhere on the front of the engine. Maybe I should look into a new one as well. Let me know what you do and how it turns out.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts