Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the verge of putting the new rear suspension and improved gear set in my '70 Coupe. I got a 9" third member, 3.25:1 ratio with a Tru Track limited slip differential.

I have cleaned and painted (satin black) the axle housing or banjo. The new third member was supplied as plain cast iron. I was going to paint it satin black also, but now I am not sure. I was just reading an article that showed a rear end freshening and while the axle housing was black they mentioned that they would spray the third member housing "red oxide" as it came from the factory.

Which is correct? Which looks better?

Inquiring minds want to know!

G

·
0 Posts
Red primer gets my vote, Anything else.. aluminum paint, day-glo orange, purple,
including covered with mink skin looks best on camaro's.
jimbo

M.C.A.# 50000

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
I believe from what I have seen all the pumpkins originally came as red oxide finish, I usually use red primer, followed by a coat of clearcoat.Most axle housings I have seen are painted a flat or semi gloss black, not sure if this was always the case form the factory, or if they were left bare.

1967 S code GT Deluxe Coupe 65B
1966 Convertible 76B 289 4 speed
1964 Fairlane 500 2DR HT-the new project
1986 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 the "beater"
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1573428&a=11959254&p=43023698.jpg

·
Administrator
19,476 Posts
If you go to the website for my fastback (see my profile), there is a picture of the axle with the third member painted in red oxide. This is correct for concours, the Sapphire Blue axle in the picture is not. *G*

http://www.rtd.com/~aztlan/stang.htm

"I love it when a plan comes together."

[color:red]1968 Coupe, "Murphy" - Original (car and owner)</font color=red>
[color:blue]1968 Fastback, "Trouble" - Restomod</font color=blue>
[color:white]1967-1968 MCA Certified Judge</font color=white>

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all that replied. Red oxide it is!

She Bear will soon awake from hibernation! What a "growl" she will have! ;-)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Laurie,

Thanks for taking the time to respond and confirm the red oxide. The decision has thus been made and the deed is done!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts