Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent a carb to them that they received on 2/28. On 3/2 I received a call describing what they had to do and a price. I approved the work and gave my charge card number. They said it would be shipped in 2 weeks. Starting on 3/21 I sent them 2 emails asking when I would receive my carb. No response. I started calling them during their normal business hours and receive a recording saying that they are not available. I left several messages. No response. I tried the fax. Line was disconnected. I received my charge card statement today and noticed they put thru a charge for $499 on 3/9. Their website says payment would not be taken until carb is shipped. I'm getting nervous. Are they still in busines?

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
They're located in Las Cruces, NM. Someone on this forum is
probably also in Las Cruces. Find them and see if they'll do
you a favor.....send them the pertinent info via email and
have them stop by Pony Carburetors for you as your
"personal assistant."

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
Well, their website is up, and they have 18 carbs listed on ebaY right now.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I sent a carb to them that they received on 2/28. On 3/2 I received a call describing what they had to do and a price. I approved the work and gave my charge card number. They said it would be shipped in 2 weeks. Starting on 3/21 I sent them 2 emails asking when I would receive my carb. No response. I started calling them during their normal business hours and receive a recording saying that they are not available. I left several messages. No response. I tried the fax. Line was disconnected. I received my charge card statement today and noticed they put thru a charge for $499 on 3/9. Their website says payment would not be taken until carb is shipped. I'm getting nervous. Are they still in busines?
Their customer service is terrible & their prices are outrageous. If I had it to do over, I'd just stick an Edelbrock 500 cfm on.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Call them, and if they do not answer leave a message saying you are reporting it as a fraudulent charge to you card unless they contact you within 24 hours. Then send an email to the same effect, noting the call. Save it. Be polite, but crystal clear.

If they don't get in touch within that time, report it to your card company... if you have any emails from them noting the date you mention keep them too. Proof the carb should be with you and they took money for a service they did not provide.

Cover yourself, now, as per them the part should be in your hands. I got suckered by a vendor in a similar circumstance, and by the time I finally got fed up, it was too late to file a fruad charge on my card. Lost the money and the parts, no recourse due to being nice and patient. Never again. Luckily "only" $200 and not real rare parts.

Not sure how some vendors get away with such a lack of service. Pretty pathetic. If they are busy and running late they sould say so, but flat out lying (or just incompetence) are no way to run a business.

·
Premium Member
13,185 Posts
Their customer service is terrible & their prices are outrageous. If I had it to do over.............."
not my experience at all. They've restored 4 or 5 carbs for me over the years, both Hi-Po autolites & Shelby Holley's. All turned out fantastic.

different people have had different experiences with them, just sayin'.

Z.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Pony Carbs

Call Mon and ask for Jon and tell him the problem. He's had similar problems in the past but once he's aware of what is happening, he usually gets it sorted out.
Let us know if you do reach him>

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Did you read the OP?
He's getting an answering machine....
If he could get Jon Enyeart on the phone I'm sure $%#@ would be happening.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
My experience? Very expensive, customer service technically sound if maybe a bit short on social skills, very nice carbs. Hopefully there's a simple explanation, otherwise...

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm about 50 miles away from them in El Paso,Tx. I was just in Las Cruces last week. My experience is that their customer service sucks. John talks to you like he is the only one that knows what he is talking about, and the carb that they rebuilt for a customer of mine flat out was put together by an amateur. I finally took it apart to find that the floats were almost completely set closed. The carb did look great though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All is good. Heard from them today. They still have my carb. It's done but still needs to be engine tested. They were closed on Friday. Hopefully after waiting a month the carb will meet all my expectations.

·
Vendor
3,882 Posts
I just learned this morning that Jon is battling brain cancer... He's always been a a bit controversial, but I've never known Jon to be a crook. Suffice it to say that I wouldn't be surprised if things are either chaotic or behind or both at the shop, but hopefully it turns out well...

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I'm about 50 miles away from them in El Paso,Tx. I was just in Las Cruces last week. My experience is that their customer service sucks. John talks to you like he is the only one that knows what he is talking about, and the carb that they rebuilt for a customer of mine flat out was put together by an amateur. I finally took it apart to find that the floats were almost completely set closed. The carb did look great though.
I totally agree with you about Jon's attitude. He may know a lot about these carbs, but he is not the ONLY one who does.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I just learned this morning that Jon is battling brain cancer... He's always been a a bit controversial, but I've never known Jon to be a crook. Suffice it to say that I wouldn't be surprised if things are either chaotic or behind or both at the shop, but hopefully it turns out well...

Rick
NPD
THANKS Rick for this info however very sad news to hear about anyone-espessely someone known to alot of us in the Mustang hobby!

For those that don't know there IS a thread going over at the concours Mustang forums started by someone wanting to know about Pony before he sends in his carb-I personally replied my experiance there......

·
Registered
33 Posts
They have had my Carb for 6 weeks, charged my credit card 3 weeks ago. They have said for 3 weeks it is awaiting engine testing.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Wasn't there another carb guy that died of brain cancer a couple of years ago? Can't think of his name, but that's a little too coincidental. IIRC, he said his was caused by aerosols.

Edit: I think it was Mike Ulrey that had brain cancer a couple of years ago.

Joe

·
Registered
59 Posts
I sure hope all works out and the carb comes back good. I've seen this same complaint about the same company on 3-4 different sites.

I quite honestly appreciate the rude experience I received from Pony Carb. Forced me to do more research and I found All American Carbs in Jacksonville. Fantastic customer service do some really cool rebuilds and good prices. All I can say is "thank you Pony Carbs for being azzhats"
I have a good vender now!!!

·
Premium Member
7,066 Posts
Pony cards received over $200 in cores from me, never paid for them. Sent them a copy of the tracking, and their signature on receiving them. I fought and fought them on it. Payment was supposed to be sent, never sent, we will resend it, etc. This went on for over 3 years.

Talked to Jon PERSONNALLY and he GUARANTEED it would be taken care of, and never got a dime from them.

Nothing but a bunch of thieves, in my book.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts