Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a problem with putting a power booster on a non-power booster '65 mustang? I know that I will have to make new brake lines to reach the reservoir but is that all?

Also, what is a fair price to pay for a remanufactured one from an auto parts retailer?

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I have read that if you put a power brake booster on a 65, the master cylinder hits up against the shock tower brace. I have no personal experience on that, however. There is a company, that advertises regularly in the classic mustang magazines which makes a slim style booster unit to deal with just this problem. The other thing which is crictical is to check if you need to change our brake pedal. There may a difference in the way the rod connects to the pedal when it is a pb booster set up. This changes the angle of the rod, where it connects to the pedal. If you step on the brake pedal it puts the rod through the diaghram in the booster unit and you've just kissed off $300 or so. I know this is the case on the 69 and 70 cars. Different pedal for power brakes. I could research this for you, but it would have to be another day as I am tired and would probably make a mistake tonight. You will need a check valve on the booster unit and a vacuum fitting on your intake for the large diameter vacuum line to the booster unit. You may need a different dist. block, don't know. It is different on the 70, as well as having a different brake system warning light switch. HOwever, I don't believe the 65s are equipped with that switch. AT least mine is not so equipped. My 70 was a 4 wheel non-power brake car and I put 4 wheel power disc brakes in it. I think the going rate for a booster unit is $300 or so, and the original style is hard to find. Midland made boosters are even more expensive. good luck. It is not too difficult a job once you have the right parts together.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
There are aftermarket kits which you can add the convenience of P/B and the safety of Duel M/C to the early stangs. From what I've read, the non-powered brake pedal doesn't have to be switched for this modification. And I think for around $450 the kit will come with most everything you need to make the upgrade.

If you are wanting the factory P/B's that were available through Ford, they can be used and once done, nobody would know (unless you told them) that they weren't factory.

For the factory P/B brakes, you need the booster, booster bracket, single reservoir M/C for P/B, Push Rod, Proportioning Valve, P/B brake lines @ the M/C, booster vacuum line to intake and a P/B pedal. I may have left some things out, it's late...

I am doing the same to one of my 66 coupes.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Because parts from the Sates are expensive for us Europeans, I converted a Toyota booster to fit my 66 Coupe. I didn't cut, saw or hammered anything and I had this done for only $ 40.
See my homepage for more info......

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought that the 65-66 pedals were identical for both power and non-power brakes??

Thanks,
Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts