Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Surprises me that there are no VMF members in Buffalo NY that could drive over to Clarence and see what's what.....

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
"Surprises me that there are no VMF members in Buffalo NY that could drive over to Clarence and see what's what....."

At this stage in the game.....It would just be a waste of gas...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
"The NY Dept of State web site does not yet list SSBC as bankrupt..."

NY Courts take a while.....quite a while... Trust me from someone who lived there for 34 years..

Tony K.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Depends upon what you need. Rotors with them are always tricky. I think a lot of them were specifically
made for SSBC by an outside vendor. Who that company was is a good question.
Cast iron "factory" style calipers were probably originally gotten from Ford and then prints were drawn up
and an outside vendor cast them up. A lot of the rear ones ID out as Varga, one of the OE manufacturers
for Ford. May have been Brazil-sourced. I've heard that rumor.
(87/88 T-bird rear calipers is what my rear disc kit uses- says so right in the kit's installation instructions)
This is correct I had conversation w Tech. there in 94 when I was installing mine.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Surprises me that there are no VMF members in Buffalo NY that could drive over to Clarence and see what's what.....

I didn't see this thread until now. I know only a little - basically they are looking to new investors to support the business. But that doesn't excuse their business practices. I sold a mustang to one of the owners about 6 years ago..business was good then - I don't what happened since. I've only heard that they are determined to turn the business around with new management and ownership. But like anything else money talks bs walks. I can ask around next week if there is any news /movement on that front. If I hear anything I will let you know.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Bankruptcy is a Federal issue. It would be filed in the Western District NY Bankruptcy Court. As of a couple mins ago nothing has been filed in that district by Stainless Steel Brakes Corp. If there is a parent company that has filed we’d need that name or EIN. If I had the EIN I could dig a bit deeper. The Fed court docs are uploaded to Pacer and are available as soon as they are placed on the docket which is pretty quick. If an entity was going through the process of BK it wouldn’t necessarily be listed in the state corp docs. That usually happens when it’s finally shut down. If it’s a chap 11 it may not be listed in the incorporation database at all.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes, we are aware of SSBC's struggles, and we are sitting on PLENTY of SSBC inventory... As-such, we've discounted it considerably in the hopes that it all eventually finds a good home.

Rick
NPD
I see the kits listed on the website but don't see what the discounts are.

·
Vendor
3,586 Posts
I see the kits listed on the website but don't see what the discounts are.
The prices shown are already discounted.. For example:

A basic stainless 4-piston drum-to-disc conversion kit for an O.E. m/c (NPD # 1102-11A) used to retail for $1,109.79. Today is it retails for $847.95.

A standard rear conversion kit NPD # 2000-1 used to retail for $640.91, today is $461.89.

I'm not sure of precisely how Scott (Ford Product Manager) structured the discounting, but everything seems to be somewhere close to 12%-13% above our bare-cost, and when you factory inbound freight, we're probably right at our actual-cost.

I'll use this as an opportunity to point something out that is rampant on parts websites these days... On many parts websites, you'll see a "suggested retail" or "MSRP" listed, with maybe a line drawn through it.. And directly below there will be some sort of marketing-schtick to the effect of "Our Low Price!!" or "Sale!!" or whatever, with what APPEARS to be a nice deal compared to the MSRP listed above it..

And here's the dirty little secret... More often than not, those "suggested retails" and "MSRP's" are completely fabricated... Made up... Lies.... Not based upon anything that's supplied or specified by any manufacturer or supplier. It's all to trick you into thinking that you're getting a hot deal, when in fact, sometimes, you would be paying above what would be considered current-market-value.

So anyhow, in this case, we're not doing the "original MSRP was, but NOW it's.." thing, because it's become a method that causes some shoppers to be cynical that they're being suckered. We just lowered the prices.. Significantly.. And hopefully the good value can be seen in the pricing.

Sometimes Scott does indeed like to put some stuff on sale, and we post our normal retail and a sale price, but we didn't do it with the SSBC stuff, as we still worry that we'll be mistaken for the outfits who invent their "suggested retails".

Our in-stock selection is spotty, so it's a matter of whether we'll have the SSBC kit that you want in-stock. If we do, when considering/factoring our inbound freight factor, you're buying at very close to our cost, and we're just trying to blow it out.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Rick, A question to your here that I've always wondered and many others as well.... Say A customer buys a SSBC kit either now or in the past... Do these kits tell you what the "Replacement Brakes Pads" are that the kits takes?!?? I know that noone (including myself) ever wants to buy a Brake Kit or a Brake Conversion Kit if they cannot get "Replacement Brake Pads" for it in the future.... I know in the past this has been an issue with some brake kit suppliers....that they don't tell the buyer what the "Replacement Brake Pads" are other than their own Proprietary Stock Number which is completely useless. This has always been a BIG Concern with many prospective buyers of Brake Kits or Brake Conversion Kits.

Tony K.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
My 65-66 style are D-11 series just like the original Kelsey-Hayes, which means I can get softer organic, semi-metallic, ceramic, hybrid or whatever from different local parts stores or a bunch of vendors. The Granada, Versailles, Mustang II, Fox, SN-95, Cobra, etc based or genuine kits I have seen always had something in the instructions describing which pads, too. Not sure about Baer, Wilwood, etc. I couldn't afford those when I was buying full kits haha ! !

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
On a side note, someone mentioned that Baer is having issues. Anyone know what’s going on with them?
That was me. PM sent. We're not discussing that on the thread here.....

·
Registered
94 Posts
I first heard of SSBC's demise in a round about way about 3 weeks ago. We were discussing Wilwood out in the

field at a shop and I was told by the owner (direct account with Wilwood) that they're having trouble keeping up

with demand and that their order shipments are 2-3 weeks behind. Wilwood's business increase cannot be attributed

completely to Baer Racing's current wobbly business situation (Baer is an account I sell product to), so there

must be another cause...... ergo, they've picked up the business SSBC had AND are making hay against Baer's

sales as well. That makes sense since all the pieces fit together.

Hey GT289, any chance you can elaborate on the Baer situation?
I am looking at getting so Baer brakes for my 65 fastback.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Rick, A question to your here that I've always wondered and many others as well.... Say A customer buys a SSBC kit either now or in the past... Do these kits tell you what the "Replacement Brakes Pads" are that the kits takes?!?? I know that noone (including myself) ever wants to buy a Brake Kit or a Brake Conversion Kit if they cannot get "Replacement Brake Pads" for it in the future.... I know in the past this has been an issue with some brake kit suppliers....that they don't tell the buyer what the "Replacement Brake Pads" are other than their own Proprietary Stock Number which is completely useless. This has always been a BIG Concern with many prospective buyers of Brake Kits or Brake Conversion Kits.

Tony K.
Yes they do. Both my front kit (A120-10 are FMSI# D531 - 99 Mitsubishi GT3000 Vr4) and rear (A111-2 are FMSI# D347 Ford 97-88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe) SSBC disc brake instructions tell me what pads will fit, and what car they came from. Now, if I could also find out what rotors are good for replacement that would be even better.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Yes they do. Both my front kit (A120-10 are FMSI# D531 - 99 Mitsubishi GT3000 Vr4) and rear (A111-2 are FMSI# D347 Ford 97-88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe) SSBC disc brake instructions tell me what pads will fit, and what car they came from. Now, if I could also find out what rotors are good for replacement that would be even better.
Rotors are the biggest problem. I don't believe there are off the shelf rotors for some of these conversions. They were probably custom manufactured in Taiwan with a minimum bulk order. There were no Thunderbird Turbo Coupes after 1988. Maybe rear rotors from the Fox-body Thunderbirds of the 80s will work. But if the rear brakes really are based on the 90s Thunderbirds the rotors might be custom because those cars have a funny 4.25" bolt circle. And there were 2 different width rotors during that model run. Possibly someone has confused turbo Thunderbirds with supercharged ones. They are completely different. Confusion reigns supreme!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Sorry, I meant to put in 87-88.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
UPDATE.....
I had used my credit card with USAA bank.
Was able to file a dispute, USAA put the money back on the card within a few days.
Confirmed that it was perm. a few weeks later.

I ordered from Sean at Street or Track, whom I have ordered suspension parts from before.
He interacted with me several times, shipped immediately.
His rear brake setup looks to be the most simple I could find, uses a separate drum/shoe from the disk like newer cars.
Overall the parts look better than his picts and U-tube, so very happy it did not work out with SSBC.
About to install.

Lee

·
Vendor
5,221 Posts
21 - 40 of 44 Posts