Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this on the VMF Facebook page and got some good replies, but I want to see if this crew has any insight. I bought a beltline weatherstrip kit from CJ's and installed it on my 68 coupe. The passenger side seemed to work well but the clips seemed weak. The drivers side fit the worst and the outside strip kept getting caught by the bottom of the window frame and wouldn't let the window roll all the way up. The inner piece with the felt (fuzz?) had a sharp end sticking out that scratched the rear frame of the window. So, the question is: Is Steel Rubber the best choice to replace this? Is it worth the price that is near double the cheap kits? I am not going to try to glue the cheap weatherstrip down as some mentioned doing in CJ's one star reviews of the kit. Thanks, I didn't want this to turn into a rant:smile2:

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Not too many reviews on Steele Rubber products for Mustangs...

All I know is that Daniel Carpenter makes the best weatherstripping period...

That's all you need to know.

Daniel Carpenter Weatherstripping can be found at most Mustangs Parts Vendors. They have two product lines though...USA made and Import made, Make sure that you get the USA made stuff.

Beltline "Fuzzies" are NOT considered Weatherstripping though many classify it as such. The best ones made on the market are made by the company called "Re-Pops". I believe that NPD carries them. I highly suggest that you take that route....or wind up playing Russian Roulette with your wallet and time.. You've already shot yourself in the foot once, and you still have one more foot left...Do yourself a favor and Don't do it again...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Vendor
3,576 Posts
We carry four different manufacturers for windowfelts these days (it's getting dizzying), but personally I'd recommend the RePops brand (called "WindowFelt" brand in our catalog, owned by Montco) as the best combo of US-made quality and value (NPD # 21455-2B for a 67-68 coupe full set), or for more money, also US-made, Dale's Manufacturing (NPD # 21455-2E).

FWIW, Steele rubber does not manufacturer windowfelts, they are just reselling some other manufacturer's felts. The machinery required to do felts is pretty specialized...

Rick
NPD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts