Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a 67 coupe in texas that reads like this:
IN EXCELLENT CONDITION; ORIGINAL INTERIOR-NO DAMAGE. HAS 302 W/351W HEADS, ROLLER ROCKERS, ALUMINUM INTAKE, NEW 700 CFM CARBURATOR, HEADERS, AND H-PIPE. 4 SPEED MANUAL TRANS, NEW HAY'S PERFORMANCE CLUTCH AND PRESSURE PLATE, 9" REAR END WITH 4-11 GEAR, NEW BUSHINGS. CAR RUNS VERY STRONG. NO WARRANTY IMPLIED OR EXPRESSED.
what do you guys think. texas is known for having rust free cars, right?
thanks

·
Registered
758 Posts
Generally, anywhere in the southwest arc from Northern California/Nevada down to middle Texas is a likely place to find a rust-free (or little-rust) car. That sounds like a pretty good driver/project car... I'd inspect all the work to make sure it wasn't done by some ham-handed good 'ol boy who fixed it the way he fixes tractors, though.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how does it work to have a company that specializes in collector car inspections work. what i mean is, if i was to contact this seller, maybe ask him for more pictures, ect, then decide it looks good enough to spend $200 for a classic car inspection company to look at it, are the sellers of the cars usually willing to have a guy come out and proffessionally inspect the car if i ask his permission? because thats the only way i would be able to find out what the cars like.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also i just pushed the "ask a seller a question" function on ebay. if he reponds will it send the message to my email? or come back through ebay?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
There is a huge difference in the waters off of CA and the waters off of Tx. Temperature. The bays are shallow and the water gets warm if not hot. This makes lots of humidity. Further inland there is not as big a problem. If the car has spent much time at the coast it could have serious rust issues.

Get pictures and ask lots of questions before getting too excited. I hope it turns out perfect but stay objective about it. John

·
Registered
431 Posts
Mine is in TX - but this rustbucket spend a good 40 years in (gasp!) GA :(

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Something to think about...in the 30-some years of the Mustang's life, it could've moved around A LOT! It could originally have come from New York or Michigan or some other rust belt state and moved to Texas 5, 10, 15, or even 20 years ago! Knowing the DSO of the car might help. My CJ was a Texas car, but spent some time of it's life in Colorado, tho, before going back to Texas, so even then you never know!

·
Registered
531 Posts
As other posts indicated, it might be in Texas now, but may not have spent most of it's life here.

If you can't find anything locally, find a VMF'er near the car willing to check it out for you. You can also request the owner take it to an inspection place of your choice on your tab (approx $100) before you travel to see it.

I see numerous Mustangs for sale in California, and very few in Texas, so I would imagine you shouldn't have any problem finding one near you.

Just be patient when you look. I learned the hard way! I hurried into an online deal and it turned out my "Texas" car had quite a bit of rust (cowel, frame rail, battery tray, lower quarters, rear window ledge), and to top it off, it had been butchered and a rear end spliced on from another Mustang.

That one was stripped and sent on it's way to the scrap heap. I took my time looking for a second shell to restore using the parts from the first one.

Best of luck
Glenn

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it could've moved around A LOT! It could originally have come from New York or Michigan or some other rust belt state and moved to Texas 5, 10, 15, or even 20 years ago! Knowing the DSO of the car might help.
that is really good advice! i totally forgot about that possibility. btw, i can fly for free to texas because my mom works for the airlines, so i would drive it back. does that change your opinion about costs? also, heres the link to the 67 on ebay, tell me if you still think its not worth it:
the 67
i really appreciate your guys opinions. thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
It really depends where in Texas as was mentioned earlier. I live right on the coast and cars used to rust really quick here. Things are considerably better 100 miles or more inland.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Vidor is just east of Beaumont, TX, a short hop from LA, and only a few miles from the Gulf of Mexico. Just FYI!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Vidor is just east of Beaumont, TX, a short hop from LA, and only a few miles from the Gulf of Mexico. Just FYI!
vidor, if its there, its not a rust free car, gaaar-on-teed!i used to live in "deep east texas" for 21 years. think marshy and humid, not dry, at all..........ever see waterboy with adam sandler.....yep that bad.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
No argument here, I've spent some time in that country. Couldn't agree more! A car can rust to the ground just sitting in the garage after 37 years in that climate.

·
Registered
384 Posts
That car is right down the road from me. He's got it
advertised locally for $5000. It located on this web-site.
http://www.southeasttexas.com/autos
To others that have posted here, I've seen many rust
free Mustangs in this part of the country. Just depends
on how's it been taken care of. Same as anywhere else
in the country. ::

·
Registered
369 Posts
I bought my Mach1 in San Antonio, TX. One thing to remember about TX is they get a LOT of hail storms. After taking the Mach1 down to bare metal to remove the bondo that had been put in the doors and rear fenders over the years, we found lots of hail dents that had been filled with bondo too. Make sure that whoever you hire to inspect the car looks for signs of that. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have seen a few but I think it is a good place to buy. Got my rusty vert in Spring, Tx. Good chance it will have some rust if it is along the coast.

·
Registered
369 Posts
One thing to remember about TX is they get a LOT of hail storms.
Where in the world did you hear that? Haven't had one hail storm as long as I've lived here.
starting from Dallas and working outwards in a circle all the way to Austin gets hail storms every year ive worked for my company (7+ years). And hail damage is very significant. Maybe it hasnt happened by you, but its still something to look for in area that are prone to those types of violent t-storms that produce hail. My mach1 is proof of that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts