Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Dimples
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize I could just call them, but figured I’d take the time to highlight what a great resource that catalog has been for me for almost 30 years.

I’m gonna need an extra copy for my daughter now that we’ve added her ‘66 project. ?

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Yes, got mine a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
havent seen it yet

·
Registered
404 Posts
Got mine a couple of weeks ago. Also drove up to NPD last week, their counter only has the new 2020 catalogs.

·
Dimples
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, I’ll have to give them a call. I’ll be doing my part to keep them in business over the next couple of years, lol.

Thanks y’all!

·
Vendor
3,871 Posts
The 2020 catalogs just dropped a few weeks ago.. My desk copy is already dog-eared LOL.. The Boss 302 on the cover is the VERY SAME Boss 302 that adorned our cover for the 1991-1992 edition, 29 flippin' years ago. How about that? :) I also think (if my memory is worth anything, which is questionable) that it was the very next catalog (1993 edition) that we debuted the NPD logo that still survives to this day. Back then, all cover design/execution, and the logo design, was done by Michael Cousins, who started with NPD in 1983, and left us too soon (passed away from sudden infection) in 2001. He was an irreplaceable member of the core team that built NPD from the ground up. Sorry, I look at that old cover, and I immediately think of Mike.

91-92 edition catalog - 104 pages

2020 edition catalog - 372 pages

Talk about an increase in availability and choices since then.

ANYONE who would like a new 2020 catalog... If you order it online, it'll get bulk-mailed via 3rd-class. It's the only way we can afford to send these things out for free. But unfortunately, 3rd-class is notorious for taking up to 2 weeks to deliver, often times missing covers or pages along the way. So if you'd like one, email me with your address and year/model (so I know you're from VMF), and I'll first-class you a copy in an envelope [email protected]

Rick
NPD

·
Dimples
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Class act as always, Rick. You’re a good man. That bit of history is great! I remember that old cover. I turned 16 and bit my 65 in ‘91. ?

email sent!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I always get one in my next order after the catalog is released. Buy something from them so they don't have to eat the postage.

·
Dimples
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always get one in my next order after the catalog is released. Buy something from them so they don't have to eat the postage.
I fully support this sentiment, but there’s a good chance that next order will be a big one, and the new catalog will help with that. Still, it’s a fair point.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've had mine for about 3 weeks. Got a big list of stuff to order after Christmas.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Hey Mr S
what does one have to do to get his car on the back page or a blip someplace in a future mag...... even in B&W?
been ordering since the late 70s if that helps lol

·
Vendor
3,871 Posts
Hey Mr S
what does one have to do to get his car on the back page or a blip someplace in a future mag...... even in B&W?
been ordering since the late 70s if that helps lol
Send us a few nice/hi-res photographs of your car. A brief paragraph regarding your car and your history with NPD, your written permission for us to use your photos and your name, and then I'll pass everything through to both marketing and catalog departments. I can't promise placement in the catalog, because that's a space/placement issue (maybe we can maybe we can't), but social media is a high likelihood. And I WILL put in a good word for you to see if we can't sneak you into the book somewhere. It's getting tougher and tougher though, because we're at the limit of pages we can print and still sneak-in under the threshold for the cheap mailing rate.

Use my email address above.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
havent used a printed catolog in 20 years
The reason the catalog is helpful is they have diagrams with parts references they haven’t/don’t put on the web. They’re from the old school catalog/mail business. The part numbers are in the online database but the diagrams aren’t. You can do the same thing more or less with the MPAC. Most of the NPD part numbers I’ve bought are a variant of the Ford numbers anyway or they list the full part number in the decription.

·
Vendor
3,871 Posts
Every day I have a front-row seat, witnessing the carnage of people ordering parts 100% online, without the assistance of a catalog and/or a sales/service professional.

This isn't just NPD, it's everywhere, I read and hear the stories on social media, at car shows, events, and in emails (both relating to NPD, and new customers relating their horror stories elsewhere).

In shopping exclusively online (as opposed to catalog and phone) we as hobbyists forego an extra layer of assistance, advice, information and confirmation... And things get missed, and mistakes get made in the process.

On the other hand, the internet affords many huge plusses, like photos of everything, unlimited space to describe and spec (if only people would actually read), ease of cross-shopping, and yes, convenience..

It just is what it is, but I'm dedicated to continue improving on ALL fronts, internet, phone and catalog.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Every day I have a front-row seat, witnessing the carnage of people ordering parts 100% online, without the assistance of a catalog and/or a sales/service professional.

This isn't just NPD, it's everywhere, I read and hear the stories on social media, at car shows, events, and in emails (both relating to NPD, and new customers relating their horror stories elsewhere).

In shopping exclusively online (as opposed to catalog and phone) we as hobbyists forego an extra layer of assistance, advice, information and confirmation... And things get missed, and mistakes get made in the process.

On the other hand, the internet affords many huge plusses, like photos of everything, unlimited space to describe and spec (if only people would actually read), ease of cross-shopping, and yes, convenience..

It just is what it is, but I'm dedicated to continue improving on ALL fronts, internet, phone and catalog.
The problem is that most customers today are not informed about what they are buying and they just blindly buy stuff these days. I do my research and I know what I'm buying when I buy it.

Retail hasn't had anyone to help customers in years. Yeah they have salesman but not people that know the product. Any time I am in Home Depot I get annoyed by the constant can I help you find something... Believe me I know more about your lack of products and high prices on them than you do.....

I buy most everything on the internet now mainly because so little was ever available here locally. The internet has provided all that stuff the was either not available locally or to order locally. I can order stuff like sanding belts have them delivered the same day get high quality ones for far less than the garbage quality available locally.

Oh and Blake if you need a hand on the 66 just give me a call. You know I have a shop full of tools too.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts

I hate that meaningless and trite phrase...but anyway and yes the website has a ways to go, especially for the car novice. I don't consider myself a novice at all but still don't know all the specific doohickey and bauble names and to search your site can frustrating, I couldn't tell you how many times I have given up, gone on CJs to find a part using the same non-technical search in a fraction of time then come back to yours to use the proper name and it still not be atop in the results. Then to the catalog....

Anyway, my suggestion is to combine these two somehow. Have one for each year, you could leave out the prices so it's timeless and heck, even charge a few bucks for it or include it with a minimum $ order. The group #s in the MIC aren't perfect for finding a part so they could be crossed with your part #s and I would guarantee the number of returns would drop significantly and sales of little things would go up. I'm still learning that there are so many little gaskets, clips, special nuts and spacers etc that aren't really "needed" or noticed when they are missing short of concourse cars but when you see it pictured and it's usually only a few bucks to be more correct you throw it in the order.

Got mine at least a month ago, last order before gets the spare .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts