Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello fellas, i'm just wrapping up my 67 stang and i need a little advice. my new engine set up is as follows: 289 block stroked to 347 w/ coast kit, edelbrock performer rpm heads, edelbrock rpm cam and intake, hooker comp headers,and a c4 w/ 355 gears and an auburn lsd. at the moment, i'm running a 600 edelbrock (1406) and wonder if the edelbrock 750 will be the best choice as they (edelbrock) recommend it or would something else better suit this set up? thanks in advance for any and all advice. l

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
i think the 600 would provide better performance but thats MO.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
The 750 is a bit much for that mild cam.....maybe if you have 4.11 or higher gears......

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I am in the process of building a very similar motor. Do you know what kind of HP you are putting out?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no numbers yet. i just started it last weekend. desk top dyno showed 365 hp if i recall correctly. other than that, i'm not real sure what to expect. i'm just hoping she will run in the mid to low 13's in the 1/4. you?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hi there. Saw your post. I have a 347 stroker in mine putting out 450 h.p. on the dyno and I run a 750 Holley on it and love it. It's a vacuum secondaries Holley.

See the engine specs here:
http://www.inficad.com/~moneymanager/newengine.htm

http://jmichael.info/holley750.jpg

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I ran the 1407 on my 289 with a Performer RPM cam and ported stock heads. It ran a best of 13.31 with 4.10 gears. My new motor simply would not idle with the Edelbrock carb and there was no way to get it to idle. My idle vacuum was down around 5 inches. When I would put the car in gear it simply died. The Edelbrock techs told me to buy a Holley for it and thats what I did. With your motor and cam though you won't have any problems with low idle vacuum. The 1407 should work fine if thats what you want. A Holley or Demon would work fine too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts