Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night my wife says "So what do you want for your Mustang for Christmas?" I have a few things I have been wanting but the one thing I can't stand about my car is how poorly it steers. I told her "Maybe a new steering box" to which she replied "OK, go ahead and order it". I got on MustangsUnlimted's website and almost bought one and then at the last second decided I better ask everyone that has one for their input. Are they worth the $400? Do I need anything else other than the box? Do I need a new pitman arm also? Is $399 the best price?

My car currently has manual steering and I have heard the new box is a little harder to turn.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Do a Search on Flaming River and you will see the can of worms this will open up!! :horror:

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I stripped all my leaky old power steering crap outta mine and went with a F.R. box, REALLY like the "non-power steering", and YES I had to change the pitman on my set-up.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do a Search on Flaming River and you will see the can of worms this will open up!! :horror:
I did see a bunch of stuff about the Rack and pinion and all the problems associated with those conversions so I'll be sure to stay away from that idea. Steering box comments are few and far between, only a couple comments I could find.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I was one of the unfortunate who tried to install the F/River rack. As you have discovered it was a problem, I ended up with using their gear instead.

I am very happy with the feel of the gear, it would be impossible to say how much it alone improved the handling of my car. I replaced all of the parts with new and most all of them are high performance parts. I have listed these below.

Here is a helpful install tip, my gear came with a couple in the steering shaft. Not the rag joint used in later years but a metal sleeve with two roll pins. I marked the shaft and coupler, drove out one of the roll pins and was able to install the gear without having to go thru the contortions normally required. Bear in mind the 65-66 and some 67s are a one piece shaft, this has no bearing if yours has a rag joint.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
I have a new F-R box in my 66, night and day difference in the drive. I replaced all the steering componets too and the car drives just like a modern car. It's a blast to be able to drive it hard and not worry about sloppy steering. Before replacing the front end I was afraid to take it over 75, it got pretty scary after that :horror:

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
My car had power steering and I have converted it to Manual. My changes include:

Manual Steering center link
Shelby quick steering arm
Idler arm roller bearing
Manual tie rods as required

(I've also spent a considerable amount of time making other suspension mods that are contributors to 'tighter' steering)

I did spend some time cleaning up and adjusting my 'death spear' steering box when I had my car tore apart 5 years+ ago and that time on the bench made a world of difference. Car steers great. Only upgrade I may do is to remove the 'death spear' and go with a 68 steering box (of course, appropriate column parts, too).

Flaming River has caused much grief to so many, I will not support ANY of their products...

·
Registered
141 Posts
68-G.T.500 steering was sloppy, tried adjusting it many times. gave up & got the F.R. nothing else. drives like a NEW car. The unit is all self enclosed , no adjusting, no grease or fluids to add etc. i should have done it long time ago.---S.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
I did see a bunch of stuff about the Rack and pinion and all the problems associated with those conversions so I'll be sure to stay away from that idea. Steering box comments are few and far between, only a couple comments I could find.
I asked the same question several months ago and found the same thing. Lots of problems with the R&P but not much feedback on the steering box. I did see a few FR boxes on some cars at the MCA National Show in Huntsville, AL this past summer. The folks that had them were all very pleased and I got absolutely no negative feedback. I'm going that route on my 68. I'm also considering their tilt column, but have not decided on that yet.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I haven't used the FR box on my car, but a buddy swapped one on to his '66 and he raves about the difference.

If you are going manual - manual, you should be able to keep the same Pittman arm. It seems like $400 is a decent price -they're $420 at Summit.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK....I did it.....I ordered a new Flaming River steering box from MustangsUnlimited a few minutes ago. Can't wait see how it works on my car, its been no fun driving it like this the last few years. Thanks for the responses to my questions.

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
I put on a FR 16:1 steering box 2.5 years ago along with a Shelby NOS quick steering kit.

It steers easier than my old manual box did.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I put one in last spring when I had the motor out. What a difference. The old box was so worn that I had to keep turning the wheel back and forth just to go straight. I went from "navigating a boat" to steering a car!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a FR 68 power steering box running in a 68 cougar. I did the swap and have had no issue with it since, runs like new! It really bolted right in (we know how that goes) no other parts needed with the swap - just the box. I was very happy with the results, then started to ask on this forum about 65-66 FR -Rack for my stang ... ohh boy did I get the oppsite answers I thought I would get...bottom line for me, I would get there boxes... but stay FAR away from their Rack stuff.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
IMHO There R & R really Suck very Generic same with sterring colums. There sterring Box Rocks, and they have some very nice steering wheel offerings.

Verry hard to figure leadership of this company I think they try to fit too many square pegs into round whole rather than specically devolping products for vechicles as they did in years past so typical.

Just my 02
Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts