Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to tighten the cam bolt/fuel pump eccentric/ upper timing gear on today and the outer part of the fuel pump eccentric was loose. Does the fuel pump arm ride on it and keep it tight? Just seemed weird to be loose. Anyway I think I have the proper timing chain etc. Just never put one together before.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-3-163sb
the timing chain I have.

the fuel pump eccentric

The cam dowel is not the problem.(not using the long one).
What am I missing?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Building a 347 from a 97 302 roller cam eng for my 66. Using a mechanical fuel pump. Just never dealt with a 2 piece fuel pump eccentric. I would assume the arm on the fuel pump rides on it and that's what keeps it tight. When the cam bolt is tightened the back/outside part of the eccentric is loose?
That's the question.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Also, under Applications for your timing set all of the listings are late model motors, post-1980 stuff. So assuming your motor is an original vintage motor, you have the wrong timing set.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Disregard last comment as I didn’t see your response. And though I’ve never dealt with a 2-piece eccentric, I’m still gonna say it should not be loose. I could only imagine how damaging that could be at 6000 RPM.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL! Don't think it will ever be taken to a Drag strip. Thinking it's alright. thanks for the reply but this is the internet and will seek another opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts