Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just received my roller idler arm from OTR and totally misread the instructions. Instead of inch pounds I used foot pounds! John was nice enough about it but I feel like a dope. Guess I need to get my vision checked and go to the head of the class!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Doh! I was swapping the diff covers on my Jeep and used the torque specs listed on the gasket instructions rather than the specs that came with the new cover. Snapped a bolt off in the pumpkin. Fortunately, after a lot of cursing, I was able to back it out with a cold chisel. Anywhere I post is the bonehead section.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
When I first got into the hobby, I was posting (on the late CMF) about work I was doing. I was told, "Frankie, put your tools away before you hurt yourself".
Proud bonehead/dufus here. But hey, my car works, and I drive it.

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
Once did a cap, rotor, wires and plugs...put it all back together nice and neat and about blew my engine up. I had the firing order right, but in the wrong direction on the cap. That's just the first one that popped in my head.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT Fastback 289 4BBL
65 Posts
I did the inch pounds in foot pounds reading once when a buddy and I were changing his transmission fluid in his truck. When we torqued down the pan and broke a bolt, we figured out that I read it wrong. We spent the next 3 hours pounding on his transmission pan to get it to stop leaking.....

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yah, I'll readily join the list of contenders vying for top IDIOT spot.
I have more than once drained the tranmission instead of the engine, and added double the oil to the engine.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
While changing the oil in the driveway, I got distracted and pored 7 quarts of oil out through the drain that I forgot to plug. This was my only car, so I had to scrounge a ride to the auto parts store for another 7 quarts.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I got you all beat. I threw away my factory power steering components since they were leaking and were old.........who would need old power steering components since I was getting my new Borgesson box! The interweb said the old system was overboosted and the Brogesson box was WAAAY better........Than I found VMF.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,753 Posts
Well I just received my roller idler arm from OTR and totally misread the instructions. Instead of inch pounds I used foot pounds! John was nice enough about it but I feel like a dope. Guess I need to get my vision checked and go to the head of the class!
Actually glad you brought this up 😅 I have tightened everything on my front end but the bearing end of the roller tie-rod. I don't remember ever seeing a torque spec with the part since I bought quite some time ago. I torqued the end that bolts to the center link per the shop manual. What is the spec for the nut on the bearing end?

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I bet no one here has ever done a perfect flare on a line only to realize you forgot to put the nut on first.... Or done the perfect solder job on wires and then realized the shrink tube was still on the bench.

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
I bet no one here has ever done a perfect flare on a line only to realize you forgot to put the nut on first.... Or done the perfect solder job on wires and then realized the shrink tube was still on the bench.
Hmmm… Done both. I forget how many times each.
I still stand by my Arning drop with one side in new holes and one side in old holes...
Now I did that one on purpose. I was working at the auto shop, and worked on my car after hours. Didn't have enough time to do both sides the first night, so I did one side, drove home very carefully, and did the other side the next day. Boy did it drive strangely that first night. But it was proof positive the drop made a huge difference.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,546 Posts
Actually glad you brought this up 😅 I have tightened everything on my front end but the bearing end of the roller tie-rod. I don't remember ever seeing a torque spec with the part since I bought quite some time ago. I torqued the end that bolts to the center link per the shop manual. What is the spec for the nut on the bearing end?
20-25 ft-lbs per John’s sheet. Remember to grease the shaft and pack the two bearings with grease prior to torquing. Then fill with grease gun after torquing.

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
Broke off the head on a VC bolt on the '68...... that was the 1st oops. (center top one, passenger side) Maybe 1981 or so.

Fast forward to around 2017. In an attempt to "free up" a vent window latch, I tapped the handle with a small hammer, resulting
in needing to replace the (now cracked) handle, the pivot stem the handle rotates on, the vent window glass itself because the
pivot stem piece had issues interfacing with the new handle. The vent glass had to be removed from the frame to be able to replace
the handle's pivot and the vent glass broke, requiring replacement...... so basically the entire vent window assembly had to come
out of the vehicle. On this particular Ford product, the main window/regulator had to be R&R'd also to facilitate the vent window
assembly R&R. It was a mess....

In between 1981 and 2017, there were lots of other bonehead mistakes, believe me......

1 - 20 of 69 Posts