Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Years ago I had a 1961 Falcon Ranchero that needed a new water pump. I managed to break one of the bolts off in the block, then managed to break off an easy out in the broken bolt! I had the bright idea to use a torch to heat the block to see if it would expand a bit and release it's hold on the bolt. I managed to ignite whatever fuel vapor was in the block and was blown back about 4 feet by the resultant explosion! Cost me my eyebrows and the hair on my forearms!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Had my little 4-banger engine turned the wrong way. Set all the timing to Cyl #4....not #1. I think we have all been there.

·
Registered
875 Posts
For the past week or so, I've been fighting to get the instrument cluster in my 66 all connected. After sorting out all the colored wires, I made the connections to the cluster. As soon as I turned on the key and there was nothing. I checked the constant voltage regulator and it was not putting out any voltage even though it had 12v going to it. I replaced the CVR, turned the key and all the gauges went to full peg (obviously everything went to a ground). I traced out all the wires & connectors and everything was good. Then I saw a picture on a Mustang magazine on how to test your cluster system (I knew that grounding a gauge lead should full-peg the needle). I pulled the cluster out again (everything wired per Ford diagram) and noticed the insulator strips under the gauge nuts were missing. OOPS!. Apparently the PO had removed all but the amp gauge strip and then screwed the cluster nuts down to the case. After making insulating strips for the other 3 gauges, everything worked like it should. Don't assume that the PO didn't do anything to the used parts (they might have had a reason).

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
@GypsyR @powool @Huntingky I never bothered getting any tattoos because I can be easily identified limb-from-limb by scars.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
764 Posts
I had Simca when I was 15 as a play car for the woods. Once I jacked it up with a scissor jack fully extended. I was on my back under the car and lost patience and started pounding a wrench when I saw the jack going over. Luckily I was thin enough that the car only bounced on me but I was still stuck. My dad saw what happened and rushed over calling me an idiot and such before asking if I was ok and lifting the back of the car so I could get out. A good lesson was learned that day.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Is there a bonehead section of the forum?

See Community Help.
took our 66 vert down for a complete ground up 15 years back.
spent two years at the body shop.
glass hood, SB R front end.
motor, trans & RE built and BB. Every piece mic’d, measured & massaged.
suspension all upgraded tubular, konis, subframe connectors etc.

took another couple of years to reassemble to my likely.
prepared all systems for initial startup, cam burn in and initial tune tweaks.
loopy cammed motor open exhaust.
back out of the garage for a maiden run

then just have to jump on it !!!!
problem was for all of my attention to detail I failed to insert the hood pin clips.

yep, U guessed it. That metallic silver paint with triple black Shelby striped fiber glass hood flipped up, smacked into the windshield right at hood scoop level.
crack ran just about the width of the hood, deep into the gel coat & pulled the hinge bolts completely out.

went from woody to wanker in 2 seconds flat.....

hand me my sign.

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
Problem was for all of my attention to detail I failed to insert the hood pin clips. That metallic silver paint with triple black Shelby striped fiber glass hood flipped up, smacked into the windshield right at hood scoop level. The crack ran just about the width of the hood, deep into the gel coat & pulled the hinge bolts completely out.
Hand me my sign.
That qualifies you for a Doofus Award, named in honor of Phineas T. "Three Wheeler" Doofus who once failed to put the lug nuts back on after changing a flat tire.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts