Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
65 convertible in great shape except for one spot of frame rail at rear where the leaf spring bolts to the frame. There is rust around mounting point (bolt) and I wonder if there is anyone who sells a piece of metal to weld over frame to strengthen that area? Also, what should I expect to pay for someone to weld this 4” plate on frame?

Any information appreciated live in Orlando FL if someone can weld for me locally that would be great!

Thank you - Cyclenby65

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I've spent the last 3 weeks doing just that. We decided that instead of cutting the last 5" of the repair section, it would be easier to cut the whole 30" out and use the whole section because the section has an indentation to fit up in the existing frame rail. This Indentation disappears when the two piece are welded.
The real pain (and time consuming pig) is getting to the frame rail. This involves removing the tail-light panel support bracket, which leads to the equally troublesome task of removing the trunk floor. I figure removing these takes about 3 hours each at best, as the support bracket's spot welds are HARD to get to without causing unnecessary destruction, and the trunk floor has quite a few spot welds and they all are rather large.
HTH
--Kyle

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
use the whole section because the section has an indentation to fit up in the existing frame rail
You can recreate this with a little cutting and bending ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you - sounds $$$ but as my wife says everything about this car is $$$. Will call Pete and Pete Jr. over at Orlando Mustang or maybe Ken down in Orlando at his shop he did my last paint job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.