Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After forking out the $ for the circuit board for my '69 sportsroof, and finally locating and purchasing the tiny as hell instrument panel fuse, I still have no gauges. I haven't put any lights into the dash yet, since I don't have any of the sockets or bulbs yet, but to my feeble mind, this should have no impact on the gauges working such as temp, oil pressure, and fuel gauges (non-tach, non-A/C car).

I still have no gauges, but haven't actually bolted in the cluster yet (don't want to until I have the bulbs). My question is, that I don't see any ground wire, like the earlier models had that was a seperate wire from the main harness. I haven't been able to locate my '69 wiring diagrams since I moved and don't want to rip apart my daughter's '69 to find out, unless absolutely necessary.

It appears to me, that the '69 doesn't use a seperate ground wire, and the ground wire is included in the main plug that plugs into the gauge cluster's circuit board. Is this correct, or am I missing a ground wire?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
referencing a tach cluster i had handy...The ground does not go to the harness.
At least for the lights and the regulator! Gauges operate seperately with a constant hot through the voltage regulator.
and the ground from the senders. These are in the harness. However, the voltage reg on the back
needs the ground to operate properly. Just run a secure jumper from the bracket that bolts to the upper dash to the mounting point on the firewall (or other suitable ground). Just tell me you are not
putting a tach dash in a non tach car. This is wired different and can damage these gauges.
Bruce (TX)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts