Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just happen to come across this auction by chance: eBay

And I have actually been wondering this for a while too. After reinstalling my cowl - I find that is sits lower at the top lip than the fenders do. If there is a bumper for that - which one in that auction is it ? Mine had no bumpers, but then again it was removed 5+ years ago... :rolleyes:

Any advice from fellow 70 owners is appreciated.

·
Registered
747 Posts
There is a foam pad that supports the upper cowl panel. There is a reproduction set for release in April, but I do not have the price information currently in front of me.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The two in the upper right are for the hood side of the cowl. They actually hold up the back edge of the hood.
There are no bumpers that I'm aware of for the back edge of the cowl panel, and none shown in the assembly manual. I frequently see pieces of foam placed on the back edge to help hold it up.
Vintage - Who is making the foam pads?

Carl

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
The 70 coupe parts car I have has a piece of foam stuck to the windshield. I don't remember seeing anything on my 69.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
This really wouldn't help much with your alignment situation, but there is a bumper that fits around the fender lip and rests on the cowl. Should be one per side. These are often missing and aren't available in reproduction from what i have found. My mach had both missing and my fastback had only one. Anybody know what i'm talking about and know where they are available? I had an old NPD catalog and they had some NOS ones but they have since been removed from their catalog, so i assume they are out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I thought that the back of the cowl (edge next to windshield) was held up by the clips that also attaches to the chrome trim. You slide the 7-10 clips into the chrome trim then use the 1/4" hex head sheet metal screws to attach it to the car. The clips also have tangs that stick out below the chrome trim that let you slide the cowl panel between the chrome trim and the tangs, then you screw the hood side of the cowl down.

There are two black closed cell foam pads about 1.5" X 2" X 3" that are glued on the back of the cowl but they do not really support the cowl, I think they are there for rattle prevention. Look on the back of your cowl and you should see a square where the pads use to be.

If you think about it, the chrome strip extends across both fenders and thus the perfect alignment part for the cowl.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
As stated above ther are two foam pads under the cowl on each side & a small piece of rubber that between the body & the fender, where the cowl fender & the body meet. If your rubber is missing you can replace it with a piece of windlace.

Mike

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Though there is two rubber bumpers that attach to the edges of the fenders, you don't really need them.They tend to fall off anyways. You just need the two foam blocks that go near them. They are appox 3"L x 1 1/2"W x 2"H they just kind of rest on the top of the cowl. When new they would have been a little taller then needed. They would be compressed when the back edge of the filler panel is wedged under the windshield molding.
You can make a pair out of rigid foam.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Man I am getting ready to put my cowl back together and I did not see any foam or rubber bumpers.. I sure would like to add them back before I get it all reassembled. I am having a hard time visualizing everyone's descriptions though. Any chance anyone has photos? Hey Jeremy if you figure this out take some pics for us..

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Well neither of my 70 cars have the foam pad nor can i tell where it was. I too am interested in some pics of what they look like as this is a first for me too. As for the rubber bumpers that support the rear of the fender, the only one i have is installed in my fastback which is a few hours away so pics may be a challenge. Maybe someone else has pics of them?

Oh wait, there is 2 jeremys in this thread. Which were you referring to? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This pic was sent to me courtesy of Chris Many (thanks Chris!)

Here are the 2 mystery rubber bumpers:
http://home.kc.rr.com/garagesaleinc/temp_stuff/Upper_Valance3.jpg

yeah, they look pretty darn big - I would remember if those were there or not.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...Oh wait, there is 2 jeremys in this thread. Which were you referring to? :lol: :lol:
Man, that is scary - TWO Jeremys, who both own 70 sportsroofs and are Both engineers.... wow, great minds think a like eh..?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hey guys, I also have been wondering about the foam pads. I am putting my '70 Mach 1 back together, and the assembly manual shows the pads. However the car has been repainted a few times, and they are missing. I was planning on useing some packing foam, but it appears the stuff on Chris' car is neoprene. Are they more "rubbery" than "plasticy"? Thanks for the pic and info!

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
...Oh wait, there is 2 jeremys in this thread. Which were you referring to? :lol: :lol:
Man, that is scary - TWO Jeremys, who both own 70 sportsroofs and are Both engineers.... wow, great minds think a like eh..?
Tell me about it. You middle name wouldn't happen to be Michael too would it? Wouldn't that be nuts :rofl:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Which assembly manual shows the pads? I've been trying to find them in the body assembly manual and I don't see them.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
They are a very, very dense foam. Not sure where you can get some. I suppose you could just use the thick packing foam that harddrives are shipped in.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
No problem.

An intersing thing in the picture for the anal concours restorer is that just above the bottom arrow is a piece of masking tape that the factory used to hold the build sheet on the car while it was being assembled.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts