Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested to find out if someone make a true High Intensity Discharge lighting kit for the 7" 6024 headlight. Not some blue headlight bulb, but the real thing with the ballast box thingies and everything. I went to sylvania's website, but all I saw were Aux lights in HID (rectangle).
Has anyone done it, or seen where to find out more? Pics would be awesome too.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
They exist. For the life of me, I can't remember where I've seen them, but they are out there. Personally, I'm sticking to my original plan of IPF glass housings and Sylvania Superstar bulbs with relays; it gets up to near-HID performance, with a great pattern and only $100 or so invested.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You can take a look at this site. I believe they offer what you are after. I would highly recommend that you use a good quality, E-code housing to direct the light away from oncoming traffic. Also, having never used these, I would want to find out how much heat they generate. It maybe nothing to worry about, But I would still check.

http://xenoneyes.com

Good Luck, J.R.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Here's a site I've had bookmarked for awhile. Don't know if they offer 7", though.
Later,
Dennis

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
gotstang said:
They exist. For the life of me, I can't remember where I've seen them, but they are out there. Personally, I'm sticking to my original plan of IPF glass housings and Sylvania Superstar bulbs with relays; it gets up to near-HID performance, with a great pattern and only $100 or so invested.
Where are you buying your stuff from. I would love to do the same thing some time.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
blu67 said:
gotstang said:
Where are you buying your stuff from. I would love to do the same thing some time.
I'm going to pick the bulbs up at the cheapest source I can find. eBay is usually a good place to look for Silverstars or Superstars, but last time I looked, I found zilch in H4's. The relays and headlight harness will be home-brewed from a junkyard car so I have the right H4 connectors and I don't have to make the entire harness myself. :D

The IPF headlight replacement kits are a pain in the butt to find, I finally found them at rocky-road.com.
HTH
--Kyle

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I believe IPF makes that harness your looking for as a plug & play. I recently checked it out, to put in my son's Jeep, which are notorious for their undersized wiring, and lighting problems. IPF's harness plugs into your light harness, and pulls your lighting voltage directly from the battery. It uses your factory light switch, only to control the relays.

J.R.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a set in my 65 fastback,SYLVANIA/VALEO,out of semour indiana makes them,it is a really neat kit easy to install,you have to modify the bucket for the light to fit in but that is all.Ican get a phone number if needed...ron

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
You might want to check with the local authorities before you sink a lot of money into a kit. Lots of cities/states are outlawing them unless they come stock in the car. Seems they are too bright and blind oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ron schoch said:
I have a set in my 65 fastback,SYLVANIA/VALEO,out of semour indiana makes them,it is a really neat kit easy to install,you have to modify the bucket for the light to fit in but that is all.Ican get a phone number if needed...ron
Do you have any pics, either of the install or of the working lights?

Thanks for the links guys, I wasn't expecting this to be so expensive. Maybe I'll go the H4 route as well.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It would be wise to consider your States position on these lights. There's been a long time controversy on the use of non-DOT spec. parts used on auto's. The Safety Act was initiated, to allow them an avenue for enforcement. According to FMVSS #108, lights are supposed to have several markings on their lens, to substantiate there conformance in design with DOT, SAE, etc. Not that it's approved, but I've been religious in the use of E-code housings since 1973. IMO they produce a superior beam pattern, than the normal headlights available. I definitely would not recommend running one of these HID kits in anything other than an E-code housing. A lot of people believe that their States position is one of acceptance of these lights. and are misinformed. Several states have Adopted FMVSS #108 as a basis for their codes. IMHO, all States will cite "Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards" as the "de facto" standard of how car equipment is supposed to be. The flip side is... I've been running E-code glass for 34 years, without a problem. However, that was not with the further intensity of an HID.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
fastlane_65 said:
You might want to check with the local authorities before you sink a lot of money into a kit. Lots of cities/states are outlawing them unless they come stock in the car. Seems they are too bright and blind oncoming traffic.
When these are installed originally, they have a mechanism that levels the lights when they are turned on. My Audi has them and every-time I turn the lights on I can see the light beam point up and then move down into a level position. If I load the rear of the car up they adjust again to maintain proper position.

·
Registered
76 Posts
if you can tell me how to post a picture on here or send me your email and i will send you some pic,and i am almost positive these lights i have are dot approved as this company sells them to alot of auto companies

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sylvania used to sell a drop in replacement kit......then legality became an issue and they are NLA. I have a set brand new in the box waiting to be installed some day.....they ran about $450 and I bought mine from a guy AFTER they discontinued them.....he had a bunch of sets...so someone out there probably still has them as they fit a bunch of applications.......good luck...

Chris

1 - 19 of 19 Posts