Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lock the hood on an 1966 coupe??? I don't want the hood pin system, is there anything sold[or homemade ] that would do the trick.. It bothers me that anyone can pop the hood and access the engine.....I picture a buch of kids pulling wires just for fun......Also, I'm sure locking gas caps are sold????? gotta get one of them, any reccomendations???? As usual, thanks for the advice.L ;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
wow you must be around a college or something lol

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Search 390GTAcv and +hood+lock. Jess' cabinet lock-on-the-hood-latch is probably almost as old as me :lol:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would it work on a 1966??[I geuss I'll go look[DOH!!]

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I fabricated a hood lock for my 65. Basically, it padlocks the release lever so it cannot pull forward. Unfortunately, that was about 9 months ago and the part is packed away. I forget exactly what I did, but it involved welding a bracket onto the hood latch support, plus drilling a hole in the release lever. If you are interested, send me a private post and I'll try to dig out the part and get a photo. It might take a while, though.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Here's a picture I took at the Knott's show earlier this year:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/med_1180669031-MustangHoodSecure6566.JPG

When the plunger is extended, the latch won't move back.

Frank

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everone..... I think I'll go with 70sportsroofs idea, sounds simple and strong, and secure.....

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you work out a different solution will you post pics and info. I'm not sure I will do anything like this to my current car, but I seriously doubt this will be my last 65-66 (and have often been curious about a good solution to this problem).

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
GT_SCODE said:
gotstang said:
Search 390GTAcv and +hood+lock. Jess' cabinet lock-on-the-hood-latch is probably almost as old as me :lol:
Yes except it is for 67-68!
D'oh ya got me. He has also posted a 65-66 version though...forgot to mention that.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I saved this picture a while back, I believe it is the one he posted.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/med_1193239015-site1060.jpg

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Crustycurmudgeon said:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/med_1180669031-MustangHoodSecure6566.JPG

Frank
THere's better way to do that lock. It can be rigged lower to go through the vertical latch support. It goes through the support and the latch. This is about 6 " below the base of the
piece that attaches to the grille. Hope this is understandable. There's a how to in an old Mustang mag in the 80's. I bought a 65 cv that had one and it worked. It also had a wire that could be wired in to be a shut off. I disconnected that feature. The key lock was mounted near the handbrake, key was one of those round hollow ones. The cable can be routed a few different ways so that it is not too visible. It was a good selling point on the car. If interested, go to hood locks on Google-should be someone still selling them.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I'm temporarily using a gun trigger lock, cable is flexible but hard to cut. It's like a padlock with a long loop. I ran it through the hood latch and around the latch bar, gives me just enough room to get my key in and unlock with the hood ~4" open.

I'll try to post pics if anyone wants to see, I had one for free so it was an easy solution for now. I may do that cabinet lock later, looks stealth.
Jon

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Crustycurmudgeon said:

Frank

I have one that was sold by ANES ELECTRONICS, INC Marina Del Rey, Ca. Copyright date on label is 1984 so they may not be in business anymore. It was made in Japan.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts