Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm replacing my original York compressor with a Sanden compressor on my '66 A code GT. The old compressor is held down by 4 - 9/16 hex bolts underneath the base plate and 2 bolts on the side. Is there an "easy" way to remove all 4 base plate bolts without disassembling all of the brackets? I've removed 3 of them but the last one does not seem accessible with the various tools that I have tried. It also has power steering so the PS bowl is in the way.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Though its been several years I seem to remember having the same issue. I think I ended up removing all the brackets. It turned out to be something I needed to do anyways since the Sanden didn't line up correctly for the belt and I had to fiddle with some spacers. If you bought a kit then you probably have all you need. I bought mine used and had to order an adapter from Classic Auto Air (or maybe it was Vintage) to get the compressor to mount correctly.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like you're correct in removing all of the brackets. It will be a good opportunity to clean them up before installing them. Another question, I bought the optional idler that Ford offered to reduce belt slap a while back. Will the Sanden compressor still require that idler??

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
My car came with the idler pulley so I left it on, no problems and it allows me to tighten the belt properly. I also still use the stock size belt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts