Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short. Old fuel gauge which was new ...want to see if the sender of two was bad So a long story short fired the fuel gauge as I watched it smoke! two weeks later ..install new gauge. It acts exactly the same as the prior . The needle moves form E to just a hair beyond E on three gallons of gas.

Also not working, my Amp gauge conversion to Volt meter gauge, from 'Cougar innovations' is not even working when the car is running. Only the Oil pressure and Temp gauges work .

So my question............ I have tested good ground everywhere on the tank,carbody and sender.

Is there a ground in the dash that might be causing a poor response from the fuel gauge.

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
The constant voltage regulator on the back of the cluster may not be working correctly, but the cluster is supposed to ground through the attaching screws. You can easily add another to be sure. The fuel tank sending units are notoriously inaccurate but they can often have the arm bent a little to adjust them, and the reproduction ones are usually junk. Mine is dead on, has been since 1995, and I have no idea how long it will last but I intend to refurbish rather than replace it. The best friend they can have is a rust-free tank. There are also threads on an inline regulator to help dial them in.

·
Registered
1967 GT500
1,356 Posts
I pulled mine and added an extra ground to no avail. I finally pulled my sending unit, bent it a little and it has been fine. I bought the car with a repro sending unit in it.

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
Your fuel gauge sounds like it's working fine. If the IVR or ground was an issue the OIL and TEMP gauges would also be wonky. Typically, with a bad ground, the IVR won't "R" and the gauges will be waaaaaay high. 3 gallons will account for a minimal rise in the float in the tank as the tank slopes down toward the front and the float is "mid-tank". I think Ford purposely designed the gauges to read "E" while you still had enough gas to get to a gas station.

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
...I think Ford purposely designed the gauges to read "E" while you still had enough gas to get to a gas station.
Don't tell my wife that. If she happens to drive my son's car and thinks there is a low fuel light or an extra teaspoon of gas in the thing she won't stop til it's too late. If she could ride my lawn trimmer around, she would take it to the store and run it out of gas on the way back.

Reactions: Nos681

·
Registered
549 Posts
Have you tried wiring the volt meter direct? Have you checked that the power feed to the volt meter has power?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Friends

So I fixed the dual gauge problems. Both very laughable. The converted Amp gauge wire had somehow not had its negative wire secured on it terminal post, the bolt had still a need for travel as the eyelet connector swam on the post. The positive post wire had slipped out of the fuse block where the shovel connector never really gets secured well .

I went down to the gas station to fill up in two gallon increments to see if the gauge was working. It was . I was playing around with 4 gallons including the gallon I added to make the needle move to just the positive side of the "E" line. 11.2 gallons filled the tank to "F" . so now I know I have 4 gallons of fuel below "E". So that makes 15 gallon 16 gallon tank which I guess is right.

thanks everyone!

I don't think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks we'd go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts