Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I've been searching the Forum, and Google, for a low mount AC option for my 302 motor. All the ones I've seen sit real high on the driver side. I do not have power steering, so I'd like to be able to mount the compressor down low where the PS pump would normally go. I've looked at CAA, OA, and VA. Have also looked at March and CVF pulley systems too.

The cleanest thing I've seen is the Vintage Air Front Runner system but that's a huge expense at $2500 plus it then requires an electric fuel pump as well. What I really like about this system is that the AC hoses come up the passenger side for a more direct hookup, and a cleaner look, in my opinion at least.

Does anybody have any other suggestions? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
March ultra serpentine setup on my car. Got it on a Black Friday sale a couple years ago for around $500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rusty1161

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@awhtx very nice fabrication on those brackets. Those have more fab skill that me. I'm hoping for a kit that I can buy. But you've created something very close to what I'm looking for. Nice job!

@Dan Babb I've been following your build thread, Dan, and have been out to the March website looking for options. Since I'm not using PS, I'm wondering if I can mount the AC compressor or the alternator in that lower drivers side area (where your current PS pump is)?

Since I'm not going with PS, I know I'm going to be unhappy with the AC compressor 'floating' there up high on the drivers side like most of the vendors provide. I guess given that there are 164 views of this thread and only 2 replies, there aren't really any options out there that fit the bill. Bummer.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
I'm afraid you are looking for something unlikely to be mass-produced. Vendors would probably avoid selling a product incompatible with power steering. Disclosure- I have AC, but no PS, mounted on stock brackets using a Tecumseh pump, with a stock Monte Carlo bar passing over it.

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
I'm afraid you are looking for something unlikely to be mass-produced. Vendors would probably avoid selling a product incompatible with power steering. Disclosure- I have AC, but no PS, mounted on stock brackets using a Tecumseh pump, with a stock Monte Carlo bar passing over it.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Keep in mind your AC hoses will enter the firewall on the passenger side, so if I was planning on moving the pump, I would also put it on that side.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Maybe call March and see if they'll sell you just the AC brackets for this kit:
Note that this kit requires a smaller modern ac compressor...you can't use the one you have.

Then you can pickup this driver side alternator kit: https://www.breezeautomotive.com/shop/alternator-bracket-kit-driver-side-302/
It's up higher than you want for the driver side alternator...but still not bad. Don't know if anyone else sells a driver side alt kit for a ford.
I've bought a lot from Breeze over the years for my Cobra projects...great guy to deal with.

Mixing and matching might cause alignment issues, but you can fix that with spacers.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you're probably right. However, it seems like we live in world now where there are always too many options, and since not everybody has PS, I guess I'm a little surprised nobody sells a system like the one I'm looking for. If you get a chance, I'd appreciate seeing a pic of your engine compartment to see how yours looks with the AC sans PS. Thanks!

Maybe call March and see if they'll sell you just the AC brackets for this kit:
Note that this kit requires a smaller modern ac compressor...you can't use the one you have.

Then you can pickup this driver side alternator kit: https://www.breezeautomotive.com/shop/alternator-bracket-kit-driver-side-302/
It's up higher than you want for the driver side alternator...but still not bad. Don't know if anyone else sells a driver side alt kit for a ford.
I've bought a lot from Breeze over the years for my Cobra projects...great guy to deal with.

Mixing and matching might cause alignment issues, but you can fix that with spacers.
Dan, thanks for the leads. I've seen this system on the March website. But you're right, a call to them asking for additional options would be a logical next steps. Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think you're probably right. However, it seems like we live in world now where there are always too many options, and since not everybody has PS, I guess I'm a little surprised nobody sells a system like the one I'm looking for. If you get a chance, I'd appreciate seeing a pic of your engine compartment to see how yours looks with the AC sans PS. Thanks!

Dan, thanks for the leads. I've seen this system on the March website. But you're right, a call to them asking for additional options would be a logical next steps. Thanks!
If you do end up finding a solution, please let us know...
I’m looking for the same setup you are (low mount ac + alternator).

Thanks,
Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts