Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
The lack of side marker says 67 the c scoop says 68.
Who knows what the po’s did to the vehicle p, only the vin will tell you for sure as long as that has not been altered.

Reactions: HoustonGlock

·
Super Moderator
11,447 Posts
Probably easier to delete the side markers than the scoops,......I've never liked the side markers.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
The only way you can tell is by the VIN. You can put any quarters on it you want, any gas cap, any kind of corral on the grille. People modify their cars all the time to their taste. That car's been completely redone anyway and most likely much of it has been replaced.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
The 67 tail light bezels have no black paint in the chromed recess, the 68 did. On my car it’s body colour, my choice.
Again only the vin will verify, all else is conjecture unless further pictures are forthcoming.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
You'd have to look at a few diff sheet metal panels for date codes that aren't commonly replaced. One being panel below rear window, Or panels inside trunk area. No one panel tells true story but a few together may. Hidden vin. Is 68 VIN is on passenger side dash windshield area. Not there on 67. Things like that are not a common replaceable part. Even steering column is different.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
That looks to be a 68’ but you’d have to look inside the scoop to be sure. 67’ has a more intricate design while 68’ has a metallic simple ornament.

Speaking of 68 side reflector markers…my 68 had one at an angle on the drivers side. Assumed it was a defect…but my painter found that my pass side rear quarter is a red oxide NOS Ford part installed in 1984. Inspection date was 1981. Still has the tag on the inside with date and inspection stamp. He found an extra (also incorrect) hole, re-drilled the pass side marker to sit as the one on the driver. Sealed up the old incorrect holes. It never occurred to me to delete them.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Well first you have to understand that early 68s had recessed side marker reflectors. Repro quarters do not have the recess. It is a lot of work to modify the quarters to add the recesses back in. So most people just eliminate the recesses unless it’s a concours type restoration.

Mid year Ford switched to bolt on markers. You can argue if it’s a improvements in looks. Again the quarters do not have the holes drilled for these. Quite easy to do, but many people chose to just leave them off.

Now for the car in question, the, markers are removed and it appears to have 67 style tail light molding and deluxe gas cap. I suspect the owner simply liked the 67 features better and customized the car just like so many of us do.

Reactions: 289vert
1 - 20 of 42 Posts