Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
AZ_Ryan said:
Oh I'm sure the police are well versed in the differences between 67 and 68 mustangs and will definitely cite you for no side markers

When the cop enters your license plate number in his on-board computer he will quickly ascertain what year model your Mustang is.
They also double up as Mattress Tag Police

·
Registered
426 Posts
Side reflectors/lights were required by federal (DOT) law beginning with the 1968 model year. At this point in time what does it matter but it is probably a violation to remove them.
That's a UK registration plate. Over here, the side markers must be converted to amber blinkers front and rear. Having them lit steadily with headlights is technically illegal, although not enforced rigourously any more.
I'd guess it's a 68 from the number plate suffix: 1967 - last letter is E; 1968 last letter is F

·
Registered
426 Posts
It's a 1968, imported to the UK in 2019.
And it looks really straight and clean (y)

·
Premium Member
8,235 Posts
My wife is a '68 model...
Thought it would be nice to build her a custom car one day. We like the early 68 body and some other features but we like the Deluxe interior of the 67 better, so we'd probably build a hybrid. Also thought it would be cool to have flush sidemarkers with smoked lenses or tucked into an almost unnoticeable spot you can't see on a black car until the lights are on.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,748 Posts
When the cop enters your license plate number in his on-board computer he will quickly ascertain what year model your Mustang is.
While that may be true, most cops on patrol today were not even born yet in 1968 and unless they are vintage Mustang fans, they would very likely NOT know the subtle styling changes between '67 and '68, NOT know that the official VIN tag on a '68 is visible through the windshield on the right side of the car, and NOT know that the '67 VIN tag is not visible through the windshield.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
I shaved the rear marker lights off my 68FB. I simply did not like them on the 68FB. I kept the quarter ornaments and the front marker lights. All the sheet metal is original except front fenders. I even used a 67 console inside as i just liked it better. Engine's a 351C as well. Like many of us, I simply modified a few things here and there to suit my preference
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Reactions: Master Hack

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
1,217 Posts
I shaved the rear marker lights off my 68FB. I simply did not like them on the 68FB. I kept the quarter ornaments and the front marker lights. All the sheet metal is original except front fenders. I even used a 67 console inside as i just liked it better. Engine's a 351C as well. Like many of us, I simply modified a few things here and there to suit my preference
View attachment 818105
Looks good. I take it the side marker police haven't come for you? ;)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
While that may be true, most cops on patrol today were not even born yet in 1968 and unless they are vintage Mustang fans, they would very likely NOT know the subtle styling changes between '67 and '68, NOT know that the official VIN tag on a '68 is visible through the windshield on the right side of the car, and NOT know that the '67 VIN tag is not visible through the windshield.
A cop would only need to know that a 68 anything, needs side lights.
Same law down here, but you'd be the unluckiest guy in the country if it was enforced.

·
Registered
1967 Convertible, 5.0HO EFI, AOD
658 Posts
I'm going to be doing some body work my rear passenger quarter next summer. I might have to replace it. This thread almost makes me want to remove the grill ornaments and dress just that one side as a '68.

·
Registered
36,973 Posts
thanks guys Now why would one remove the side lights? hmmmm
There were no side lights on the rear of the 68. Just reflectors. And after mid-year, they were surface mount leaving only two small holes if removed, dead easy to eliminate. As to why, well the late reflectors were an ugly mis-match to the styling, because they were Cougar reflectors.

·
Registered
36,973 Posts
I'm going to be doing some body work my rear passenger quarter next summer. I might have to replace it. This thread almost makes me want to remove the grill ornaments and dress just that one side as a '68.
Not possible. The contour of the inside if the C was completely different from the 68, and of course there's the huge holes where the "grilles" mount. The only way to convert would be to saw out the entire inside of the 67 C and weld in the inside of a 68 C.

·
Registered
36,973 Posts
The markers are so unattractive, they appear to have been put on in protest of the requirement. If I had a 68 Id fill em.
The early 68 reflectors were quite subtle, and looked pretty good. After the strike, Ford was desperate to save money, and switched to Cougar reflectors. They matched the Cougar styling pretty well, especially the front fender light on the Cougar. On the Mustang, they matched nothing, and it showed.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
I stand corrected. Must be a fairly recent reproduction. I just checked the NPD site, and they have repro quarters both with and without the recessed reflector available, but they state they all have the wrong C scoop shape. They use the 67 C scoop (without the 67 louvers) not the proper 68 shape.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts