Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, It looks like the bushing at the bottom of the coils is fairly degraded and there is a fairly consistent squeak coming from that area.

Is it big job to change these bushings? Also, is it safe to drive with a bad bushing?

Thanks

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
790 Posts
Greetings 68Stang,
I‘ll leave it to someone more current/familiar with the stock suspension (been 8 yrs since I removed mine), but I would think the worst would be the need for a spring compressor.

However, you may just be able to pull the front wheel - supporting frame with a jack stand, support the lower control arm with a floor jack, remove shock, then carefully lower the control arm until spring tension is zero. Then remove lower spring perch and replace etc.
*But that may not be possible or safe given the design. I’ll stop there and leave it to the experts. 😀

·
I won a special award
9,176 Posts
Spring perch bushing is gone. Get the roller perches. They're a huge improvement over the stock perches. While you're in there, I'd replace the upper control arm shaft. It's possibly the source of your squeak. Better yet, I'd replace the entire upper control arm.

Reactions: jasonwthompson

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I don't think that is a job I will tackle due to having to deal with the coils. I suppose now would be a good time to replace the coils as well as a possible solution to my wheel rubbing issue. Calling the mechanic.......

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
1.5 hours per side if you’re experienced. Many hours if you’ve never done the job before.
Go for a saddle upgrade. Single bearing. At the very least a lubeable bushing. The bearing style saddle will be easier for you to obtain.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Premium Member
10,174 Posts
Do the Shelby drop while you have the spring out and tension off the UCAs. The squeak may be the UCA shafts and if they and the ball joint are in good condition, you may be able to lube them well and re-install them.

Reactions: j persons and my289

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just took my coil springs out today having never done it before with the ~$30 spring compressor from advance auto. Not hard, and not really that sketchy if you take your time and do it right. I used a drill so I didn't need to sit there all day and crank on it- I think that may have made it more worrisome.

Got me the Shelby drop plate and roller perches from opentracker rearing to go after a quick derusting.

You can definitely do it, if you want to.

·
Registered
1973 Ford Mustang Grande 351C
312 Posts
Greetings 68Stang,
I‘ll leave it to someone more current/familiar with the stock suspension (been 8 yrs since I removed mine), but I would think the worst would be the need for a spring compressor.

However, you may just be able to pull the front wheel - supporting frame with a jack stand, support the lower control arm with a floor jack, remove shock, then carefully lower the control arm until spring tension is zero. Then remove lower spring perch and replace etc.
*But that may not be possible or safe given the design. I’ll stop there and leave it to the experts. 😀
While I’m sure he is trying to save you time and hassle, on the Mustang, you cannot remove the spring with this process. Sure, lots of late 60/70’s Chev’s this works on, but not the Stang. The upper control arm will bind in the pocket it attaches to before the spring gets loose. If you change your mind on doing the work, get the spring compressor that attaches to the lower shock attachment point. Just my 2 cents, Steve

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
^ you’re right about not being able to remove the springs on a Mustang with a floor jack.
The coil spring tool you mention is a horrible one as far as I’m concerned.
R&R a Mustang coil spring is not a job everyone is comfortable with. Just the way it is.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: TB350

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have the one that bolts in in place of the shock and feel it's among the safest to use. That being said, it is kind of a pain in the butt if your just trying to get the spring out. I prefer this one, inserted upside down. Use it then return it for your money back or keep it. kip
OEMTOOLS Coil Spring Compressor (autozone.com)

Reactions: Mcmahst

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
1,287 Posts
As was mentioned above, when I first bought my car the squeak was coming from the Upper Control Arm bushings not the spring perch bushing. If these have never been changed I would change all the bushings since you don't want to do this job more then once. Or just change the one bushing and hope the squeak was from there.

·
Registered
1973 Ford Mustang Grande 351C
312 Posts
If you're changing the spring perch, checking all of the suspension components is advised. Especially if you’re moving towards a roller perch. The old rubber bushed unit can hid other problems. As you said, maybe suspension work isn’t your thing, NP. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1970 Sportroof Mustang Grabber Value Package
1,402 Posts
A few months ago I started out just changing my spring perch's and decided while I had the coils out I would replace the upper control arms with Open Tracker Cheater arms and his Lower control arms and a 1 1/8 sway bar. Call or email John and Sherry at Open Tracker, you will not regret it. Shawn at SoT is also great I hear.
I had never removed coil springs before either, if you have moderate skills it is not a bad job. Use common sense and decent equipment, take your time.

Edit for spelling, sheesh

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,861 Posts
Common widsom includes the fact that a compressed coil spring contains a considerable amount of kinetic energy. If one chooses to half a$$ the coil removal and something goes wrong, such a choice includes the fact that life and limb are in jeopardy. A loose compressed spring escaping from its perch can kill/maim you....

• Helpful
Reactions: TB350

·
Registered
'66 Convertible 200/c4 Vintage Inline Headers with Arvinode Duals
628 Posts
I have the one that bolts in in place of the shock and feel it's among the safest to use. That being said, it is kind of a pain in the butt if your just trying to get the spring out. I prefer this one, inserted upside down. Use it then return it for your money back or keep it. kip
OEMTOOLS Coil Spring Compressor (autozone.com)
R&R a Mustang coil spring is not a job everyone is comfortable with. Just the way it is.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Any one in the San Antonio area doing front end work, let me know.via pm. I have the Ford factory spring compressor I can make available for your use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts