Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is on my friends 92 blazer. She was kinda getting on it a few days ago horsing around with another friend. Shortly thereafter she noticed a dramatic loss in power and it was hard to start. Although it starts up fine now. I checked it out today. It overheats VERY quickly. There is no coolant, so I filled it. When started it kept bubbling, a little water from the tail pipe. She said it usually has white smoke but I also saw blueish. There is a small coolant leak from somewhere. Wasnt able to find it as it runs down the frame. But nowhere near enough to drain the radiator. Maybe a quart leaked out. She said it also smoked under the engine so I think it leaks around the exhaust. Anyhow, I will probally go pull the plugs in a bit and see how that looks. Anything else I can check. Thanks for the time guys.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
You might be looking for two problems. Perhaps the timing chain has jumped and you have also have a leak. Or maybe all the coolant leaked out and the motor got hot and damaged the bearings.

Look at the dipstick, if it has what looks like milk on it, either the head gasket is blown or there is crack.

You'll have to dig around and find that leak, either inside or outside the engine... but if if's down on power it seems you may be looking at rebuilding or replacing this motor.

Good Luck,

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are going to pull the plugs you might as well do a compression test. If you have two cylinders,side by side, that are down on compression it is probably a blown head gasket.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pulled a few plugs and they were white, nothing too unusual. Found the leak, it is the heater core. Smoke seems to come from radiator and white smoke pours from the tail pipe when reved. Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
White smoke from the tailpipe is usually a blown head gasket, water passage into a cylinder,
or worst case a cracked head. Bubbles in the rad? Does it smoke as bad with the rad cap
removed, ie no pressure? Compression test should show it, may have to do a leakdown.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts