Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, dumb question. When I bought this car, the PO said he had put a 'closer' transmission in. Not knowing what this really meant, I'm asking for help. Is this a C4 transmission? Also, before I took it out of the car, it shifted just fine. Since it's out, would I want to get it looked at before putting everything back in, or just go with it?

http://home.mchsi.com/~benpugh/transwebview.jpg

Many thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
171 Posts
DA that not a C4 :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Too bad we can't see a bigger picture of the whole thing.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a picture of the whole thing. I wasn't aware that the C4 was anautomatic transmission. I feel pretty dumb how.
http://home.mchsi.com/~benpugh/transwebview_whole.jpg

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled it out of a 6 cyl, and it was a 3 speed. Just looking for more specifics.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
It looks to be a 2.77 3 speed with a Mustang tail housing. It was used until 1966. You can use a tranny from a Comet or Falcon as they were the same with the exception of the tail housing which did not have a provision for the floor shifter like the Mustang did. I killed lots of them in my day. It is a very weak trans and does not take abuse well.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I would swap it out for a later V-8 type tranny. That thing is really weak and does not have a first gear synchro. Even if you are going to keep the 6 cyl., the later trans is a much better deal. I have an article on how to do it. If you want a copy, e-mail me. I also have all the components to do it except that I am in San Diego.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, it definately doesn't have a 1st gear syncro....as much as I tried when I first got it. =) So depending on the cost, I'll look at swapping it out to put something more durable in.

Thanks,
Ben

1 - 11 of 11 Posts