Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

I actually have two questions. First, the below bolt with the unique patterned washer was in my "Fender Bolts" zip lock baggie. I've been clearing everything on the wire wheel. I have 4 of these bolts (pic below) and the rest of them are the standard fender bolts with the plain washer. I looked all over google and AMK website last night and couldn't find anything that looked like this for a 1968 Mustang. Any ideas?

My second question is whether or not these NEED to be treated or coated? I've been cleaning all the rust, grime and old paint off all my OEM bolts/nuts/u-nuts with my bench grinder wire wheel. Everything is coming out beautiful, and frankly, I'd like to use them as is. But, I've seen a bunch of vids on youtube and posts here on the forum saying they need the 'perkins' treatment and/or black phosphate process.

I live in southern cal, the car will be garaged and only driven on weekends. Can I just leave them natural and untreated or would I be looking at trouble if I did that?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
I dunno about that bolt, unless it is an aftermarket one that came with something.
I believe I would re-plate or re-paint the other bolts to keep them from rusting after 50 years and a wire wheel.

·
Premium Member
13,231 Posts
I've never seen a fender bolt with that wonky looking washer. The original bolts had a "phosphate and oil" finish. Bare metal will rust quickly.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
The J-clip is to short for a top fender bolt. It may be a bolt that connects the fender to the headlight bucket. or core support.

The wire wheel is way to labor intensive.

Here is my 3 step method:

I have a laundry detergent jug that I put all my hardware in with a strong solution of Dawn and water. I shake the crap out of it for a day or two. Every time I walk by it I give it a shake. The hardware comes out nice and clean.

I dump anything with paint on it in a empty paint can with paint remover in it. Loosely place the lid on it. Give it a shake whenever you walk by it. The hardware comes out paint free.

Soak the hardware in Evaporust for 24 hours. It comes out rust free.

If left uncoated they will rust like crazy in no time.

You have to ask yourself how important original hardware is.

I just spent $59 online and bought 2 sets of stainless steel fender bolts, 2 sets of black oxide fender bolts and extra sets of j-clips, 2 long sets and 2 short sets. I went to Lowes and bought six stainless steel bolts and flange nuts for the shock towers and stainless steel bolts for the upper shock mounts.

Just 1 set of stainless steel fender bolts from the Mustang houses are $26+

The bolts I bought online are not exact duplicates, but they look nice and will not rust and I dont have to worry about breaking the paint if I remove them for fender adjustment or to paint the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
If you don’t want to paint or do the P&O process, I would at least coat them with Boeshield T-9, Gibbs, or similar.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
The J-clip is to short for a top fender bolt. It may be a bolt that connects the fender to the headlight bucket. or core support.

The wire wheel is way to labor intensive.

Here is my 3 step method:

I have a laundry detergent jug that I put all my hardware in with a strong solution of Dawn and water. I shake the crap out of it for a day or two. Every time I walk by it I give it a shake. The hardware comes out nice and clean.

I dump anything with paint on it in a empty paint can with paint remover in it. Loosely place the lid on it. Give it a shake whenever you walk by it. The hardware comes out paint free.

Soak the hardware in Evaporust for 24 hours. It comes out rust free.

If left uncoated they will rust like crazy in no time.

You have to ask yourself how important original hardware is.

I just spent $59 online and bought 2 sets of stainless steel fender bolts, 2 sets of black oxide fender bolts and extra sets of j-clips, 2 long sets and 2 short sets. I went to Lowes and bought six stainless steel bolts and flange nuts for the shock towers and stainless steel bolts for the upper shock mounts.

Just 1 set of stainless steel fender bolts from the Mustang houses are $26+

The bolts I bought online are not exact duplicates, but they look nice and will not rust and I dont have to worry about breaking the paint if I remove them for fender adjustment or to paint the engine bay.
Be sure and use some anti seaze on the stainless. Hardware store grade stainless will gall in a minute without it.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
316 stainless steel.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
To parkerize, get all the rust off like you've done and soak them in a plastic container (not metal) of phosphoric acid til they turn black. Dry them then drop them in a can of WD-40 for a day or two. Good to go.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like I need to treat the hardware. Frankie's plan above ^ seems pretty straight forward.

I still can't seem to find where this bolt goes. I double checked the steering column hardware and looking again on AMK website. Didn't see anything that looked like it. Curious if somebody else sees this and will recognize it.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
962 Posts
It doesn't ring a bell. I suppose if you threw it hard at one it would, but otherwise not with me. I did look through a bunch of pictures.

·
Registered
330 Posts
While I do not recall seeing anything like that on a '68 Mustang, I suggest you post your question over on the Concours forum where folks like Jeff Speegle and Charles Turner are regulars. Those folks tend to be OCD enough to know that sort of stuff!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It doesn't ring a bell. I suppose if you threw it hard at one it would, but otherwise not with me. I did look through a bunch of pictures.
I appreciate you taking the time to look thru pics! I've been doing that too. Funny thing... I was watching Mecum that other night and a 68 500KR cv came across the block. As the camera man panned across the engine bay I could swear I saw a bolt/washer like this on that car. Could be my eyes are playing tricks on me too! :)

While I do not recall seeing anything like that on a '68 Mustang, I suggest you post your question over on the Concours forum where folks like Jeff Speegle and Charles Turner are regulars. Those folks tend to be OCD enough to know that sort of stuff!
That's a great idea. I do visit there every now and again, so I'll head over there again! Thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts