Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Is this a good front suspension kit for my 66 fastback build? I have zero parts for the front right now. OR, Can I just buy a stock kit with everything? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/264350622519
That kit is to swap to a MII style front suspension and requires A LOT of fab work. Are you installing a late model modular motor and need to ditch the shock towers?

And the type of kit you buy depends on your needs/wants for the car. If it's a just a mild build then a stock rebuild kit is fine. And in suspension and brakes I would avoid the Chinese made cr...stuff on ebay.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Try to get all your front end parts from the same vendor as a kit, you will probably save some money over buying each piece individually.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Is this a good front suspension kit for my 66 fastback build? I have zero parts for the front right now. OR, Can I just buy a stock kit with everything? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/264350622519

Is this a good suspension? No. If your fabrication skills are great, then also no.

Can you get a stock kit with everything? Yup. Sure can.

What are your plans for the car? If you need space in the engine compartment, there are better options. Or if you’re looking for better handling, there are better options, that don’t require a ton of fabrication. And some that do.

Gotta know the plan, man.

Sent from the interwebs

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
That kit is to swap to a MII style front suspension and requires A LOT of fab work. Are you installing a late model modular motor and need to ditch the shock towers?

And the type of kit you buy depends on your needs/wants for the car. If it's a just a mild build then a stock rebuild kit is fine. And in suspension and brakes I would avoid the Chinese made cr...stuff on ebay.
I wouldn't call it a LOT of fab work....the first time I did it, it took me around 8 hours total time invested(more if you weld in fender patch panels instead of bolting them in). That being said...no, its really not a good front suspension system...people install Mustang II systems to make more room in the engine bay...not so much for better handling. They don't handle badly by any means(still better that the OEM suspension setup)...but I wouldn't install one if you dont need the room for an engine swap.

I will qualify this with the statement that if you aren't worried about the work involved, its hard to beat the price point for front disc brakes, rack and pinion steering, and(optionally, not in the particular kit you linked) coilovers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this a good front suspension kit?

Im not afraid the fabrication time. I've built many cars over the years. I will be running a 347 or 408 stroker. I was more concerned on return on investment since I have to purchase front suspension parts anyhow. What would a stock complete kit cost? Does it approach the same $$$ range as a custom front end?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Im not afraid the fabrication time. I've built many cars over the years. I will be running a 347 or 408 stroker. I was more concerned on return on investment since I have to purchase front suspension parts anyhow. What would a stock complete kit cost? Does it approach the same $$$ range as a custom front end?
As blueovalfan said...what is your plan for the car? Engine choice aside...if you are looking for the car to carve corners, I would keep looking...there are many options out there....and they tend to be priced accordingly. I myself plan on Street or Track's front coilover setup($3000ish) and their rear coilover setup(also about $3000) because I want the car to handle well, but there are many options in-between from things like the shelby Arning drop, coupled with roller perches from opentracker, using otherwise stock parts, to full on race setups like Griggs, but it all depends on what you want the car to do and what you are willing to pay to get it there.

For a street cruiser...that mustang II kit would likely get you where you want to be at a cost that isn't much higher than stock replacement stuff....but, installing one tends to lower resale value for collectors...its a difficult modification to undo. If you do go with a MII front suspension...you would be better off taking advantage of the extra space to run something like a Coyote engine...or at the very least a 460 since fuel mileage likely isn't a concern of yours if you are planning a stroker

·
Registered
435 Posts
Most here are against the mustang 2 derived systems. I looked into it for my 66 and It has it's good and bad points.
If you are going with an engine that doesn't fit then it's a good economical solution.

Collectors may not like it but unless it has some special letters stamped in it that are special to them then it's a moot point and there are no shortage of people that will purchase it as a car to drive and enjoy. Either way it's your car do what you want....

Price. Overall those kits are actually cheaper than rebuilding the entire stock front end (I priced it out a while back) and you get the benefit of rack and peanut and powersteering.

That kit has those new fad rotors. Not sure what I think of them yet but they make me think of those really cheap burger pattys that are made for school and other food service.

There are a couple styles of the crossmembers and that one is one of the older styles that is available from allot of vendors.

If it's a driver and you want to put in pretty much any engine other than a 302 and it doesn't have a special mumbo jumbo letter stamped into it then I'd say go for it. I can't see putting 5K+ into suspension on a mustang as you would be in the same place as you would with a mustang 2 just with the must 2 you have less invested to loose at resale. You rarely make $ or break even when selling a classic car so no reason to dump more in IF you don't plan on keeping the car.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
From a return on investment perspective, if you were to sell the car, cutting the towers and installing a MII style suspension turns off a lot of people for a number of reasons. A big reason for me is there's always that question of who did the install and how well was it done. I've seen a some really shoddy looking work and not just on mustangs and people often go to great lengths to hide it.
My dad bought what looked like a real nice '30 ford 5 window coupe till you started looking close at some of the more hidden welds that looked like an 8 yr old wiped his boogers on the chassis and painted over them.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Wouldn't waste my time on a generic China-sourced copycat system like that. If you want to go MII, look into a USA produced system with actual support.

Try to get all your front end parts from the same vendor as a kit, you will probably save some money over buying each piece individually.
You roll the dice on kits, part quality can vary greatly. Buy brand name suspension parts, not a no-name "kit" from a vendor with a nice price.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
... hidden welds that looked like an 8 yr old wiped his boogers on the chassis and painted over them.
Definitely the Quote of the day for 10/19/19

As for the system pointed out; this is a low-data sale meant to attract uninformed buyers. "Performance" springs could mean anything - are they 480s or 620s or 720s or 10000s, Performance SHocks ???? Translation - BULLPIES I would want to see names like Bilsteins or Konis or even admitting they are stock Monroes but who makes green shocks - this is new to me. The rack, is it quick turn or wide ratio? No brand names are named which means replacement parts will be a nightmare. Run and Run fast away from this mess. If they were a serious outfit, there would be more data for informed decision, bet its a PO box in Tampa.

As several have said M11 kills value for any informed stang buyer unless its offset with a Voodoo motor or a time slayer at the drags.

Old Mustangs are very well understood with 50+ years of aftermarket and there are formulae to achieve what ever you dream your Mustang to be, give us some details and folks here are happy to help.

Edit: after reading this, it sounds like I am calling you uninformed, you sound like a savvy guy new to Mustangs - I've probably had one too many coffees this am ;o)

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
You roll the dice on kits, part quality can vary greatly. Buy brand name suspension parts, not a no-name "kit" from a vendor with a nice price.
I was referring to package deals at SorT, Opentracker racing, and Chockostang I wouldn't buy anything critical that was Chicom sourced.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Did anyone notice the scalloped shaped brake rotors?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts