Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 65 coupe that has a rust on the body in all sorts of areas, but nothing a lttle body work and new paint job can't fix. It also has a strong 289 C code and the drive train looks good. there is no rust on the undercarage or in the trunk or engine bay. the inside is clean with new carpet and headliner, but the seats and dash will need to be replaced. all in all he wants $4800 for it. Its not the vert I want but its not a bad coupe either.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
At first blush, I'd say no way.

Steve

·
Registered
501 Posts
No, and based soley on your description no more than 3k.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Rust = $$$$ - no way at that price - even for a so called rare one.

G

·
0 Posts
I'd hold firm on the vert requirement, but that's just me.

More importantly, that "rust in all sorts of areas" sounds alarming. Sure, you can patch and paint the exterior, but how solid is the cowl? Have you looked underneath that new carpet to check the floorboards?

$4,800 sounds like a lot of money for a coupe that you will have to tear apar.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
By definition "A little paint and body work" has many meanings.
If you are yearning for the car it roughly translates to just this side of needing reincarnation to fix.
10 years ago my brother bought a 70 vert that he said needed a little paint and bodywork.
Replaced the floors, both front fenders and all the front sheemetal except the frame rails which needed straightening.
Now..same car..same words.." A little paint and body work" But now it means adjusting the gaps and
painting the new door hinge to match.
Enthusiasm is good, but don't let it get unreal!
Bruce (TX)

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
You can find a very sharp coupe for $4,800 with a sound body. The last thing you want to be involved with is rust repair. And this one needs an interior too. The rust free body is worth a whole lot more than the running gear. That can be addressed a lot more cheaply. As far as pricing, I wouldn't pay any more for it than I would for a rolling shell.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would think that is high...I bought my '69 coupe for $3k and the rust was already taken care of (just need to finish sanding for painting), engine runs strong, drivetrain strong (FMX & 9" rear), new front end suspension, new interior, GT rims...Guy(NH)

·
Registered
418 Posts
I also will agree to stick to looking for a conv if that's what you really want. I really wanted a '68 conv...found the '69 coupe and figured it was close enough...I love the '69 coupe but I still want a '68 conv...Guy(NH)

G

·
0 Posts
No Way is that a good price - keep looking and get what you want.Even though I just bought a 64.5 in showroom condition for $5000.00 it is not the car I was looking for but the price was right - thinking about selling it to get the `67 Fastback that I really wanted.Have patience in your search - great deals are out there!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
We part out better cars than that here in Arizona. Just bought a 66 rust free coupe with new engine, complete front end rebuild, new radiator, tires, brakes etc. For $3300 Gary

1 - 13 of 13 Posts