Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am fairly new to the classic mustang world, and I am looking at a 68 deluxe coupe, with A/C, signal hood, PS, console, roof console, in excellent unrestored shape, ready for this? IT's an inline 6. I know that's a downgrade, but it only has around 60k miles, is numbers matching. Is $5k a good or bad deal??? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
rust is the major determining factor on price, coupes are worth far less than convertibles and fastbacks and the 6 cylinders has not only a smaller engine be 4 lug wheels and a light duty syspension. $5,000 sounds high to me. I would expect virtually no rust and decent running for that price. If you want a v8 don't buy a 6. In the long run it will cost more. It is a wel optioned car. It might make a nice daily driver. decent gas milage.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The part of the country you're in has a major influence. Rust free cars in the rust belt tend to bring high prices. Carefully evaluate your mental state about having a sporty car with an I6. You will have to push it hard to keep up with traffic.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The previous post is right. For an inline 6 coupe, it should be almost perfect. Ask about any rust repair, then get a refrigerator magnet from your dentist or doctor's office about the size of a credit card.

Walk around the car and stick the magnet on different parts of the car. Most probable areas for repaired rust would just behind both front and rear tires. It should stick everywhere unless there was a bondo type repair. A metal type repair couldn't be found in this method, but it probably will be just about as good as real metal anyways.

Also, I doubt you could prove how many miles it has on it. The odometers roll over at 99,999 anyways. So, don't be concerned about the miles, just make sure that everything is working correctly. This means, no leaks anywhere, A/C works good, doesn't overheat car, check the underbody for rust. I would pay a mechanic to go over parts I didn't understand (for me, transmission, motor, carb).

Good luck, remember if this car ain't the one you will find one, there are plenty out there!

Later,
Tosh

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The body is tip top, zero rust, very very nice and solid. The factory paint still shines! It has always resided in or near phoenix az. Everyone here always says they are so easy and cheap to find, but as far as my experiences go, more than half the cars out there, are rust buckets, or they have been painted 5 times and god only knows what's under there. The engine compartment on this car looks nearly showroom. The owner has also gone through the front end and aligned it. The 4 lug deal is a real turn off too though! Even deluxe coupes have 4 lugs??? Thanks again

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OH, what's all involved in a four to five lug conversion? What parts do I need??? I would to this myself. What would the cost be more or less???

·
Registered
673 Posts
If you're sticking with a 6 cylinder, there's no great reason to do the 4 to 5 lug pattern conversion. It not all that hard, just fairly expensive with little gain, IMO.

Thespazardman

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But I am intending on replacing the 6 asap with a 302 I have to rebuild. So what's all involved? Thanks...........Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts