Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this motor and looking at the heads pic I noticed the pushrod holes are the Hipo slots. It also has the thicker dampner. I just can't tell if the main bearing caps are thick enough. Will probably pick it up if it's the real deal. Please chime in.

thanks,
Walt

Attachments

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
sorry, but no....the dampner is a 4 hole pully unit, the push rod hole is good, but it needs the valve spring shoulders, screw in studs, and the casting number on the frt of the head is hipo specific.....most importantly, the air cleaner is missing the 289 high performance decal. Still might be a good deal, however. much?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I thought the easiest way to ID the hipo engines VS stock were the 8-bolt VS the 6-bolt valve covers... If that's what you see, check the other stuff.
Hipo main bearings would have 4 bolts each, not 2... from what I remember anyway... might be wrong... wouldn't be the first time.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I thought the easiest way to ID the hipo engines VS stock were the 8-bolt VS the 6-bolt valve covers... If that's what you see, check the other stuff.
Hipo main bearings would have 4 bolts each, not 2... from what I remember anyway... might be wrong... wouldn't be the first time.

Nope & nope.

Valve cover bolts are the same, as is the number of main bearing bolts.

Slotted push rod slots are also regular, for the year.

·
Registered
33,891 Posts
Um, the HP engines had basically the same 6-bolt valve covers as standard engines, except they were chrome-plated. HP mains had thick caps, but otherwise the same as standard engines. #5 was the same. Only the BOSS 302 had 4-bolt caps.

289HP-

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Musta been thinking of the Boss. See? Wasn't the first time I was wrong, nor will it be the last. :)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Um, the HP engines had basically the same 6-bolt valve covers as standard engines, except they were chrome-plated. HP mains had thick caps, but otherwise the same as standard engines. #5 was the same. Only the BOSS 302 had 4-bolt caps.

289HP-
The #5 (rear) main cap is different, too.

·
Registered
33,629 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. Still looking for the proverbial needle in a hay stack ;)
Just for curiosity's sake... why? Do you need a "correct" block for a "K" code chassis or.....? For a lot less money you can build a "HiPo-spec" motor that looks and sounds like the "real thing" while producing significantly more juice.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a lead on a K code convert that is motor-less. I've been trying to work a deal for a little over a year and it's close.

·
Registered
801 Posts
If you intend to restore back to factory, then it makes sense to go through all the fuss, especially if you intend to show, or sell it later. But if you just want to drive it, there are a lot of great engine options you could use, with better performance, reliability, and economy, with few people able to even distinguish the difference.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
K code HiPo engines also have the VIN (or a portion of it) stamped into the block. So you can never get *the* correct engine for the convertible you are looking for. You can however get a K code Hipo.

Since the block is the same you can also build a clone HiPo. Just depends on your goals and preferences for the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts