Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After aligning my pedals, it appears that the clutch pedal is longer than the brake pedal. Is this a problem and do I have the wrong pedals? I have a power brake pedal and a '67 clutch pedal and pedal support. The pedals are positioned at the top of their travel in the photos.

Here is is prior to alignment

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gary!

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Im not sure that the issue is 67 vs 68 brake pedal. The 68 has a bigger 'curve' in it to clear the larger (for 68) steering column but the length from pedal pad to pivot should be the same.

j persons,
Are those pedals repro/aftermarket?

Paul

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not sure that the issue is 67 vs 68 brake pedal. The 68 has a bigger 'curve' in it to clear the larger (for 68) steering column but the length from pedal pad to pivot should be the same.

j persons,
Are those pedals repro/aftermarket?

Paul
It's a rebuilt hanger and pedals from ebay, originally for a non power brake application. I installed the power brake pedal, and as per the photos, it's too long.

·
Registered
827 Posts

I just got my pedals back from MustangSteve. This is an original set from a 67 I6 3 speed with no power brakes. I dont know if there are different pedals for the various configurations in 67.

There are other pictures of pre and during rebuild on my blog if you find that interesting to compare. This one shows what youre talking about best though.

https://bapony.com/2016/06/03/brake-pedal-assembly/

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may have to talk to MustangSteve if I can't find the correct pedal. The power brake pedal pivots at the top of the bracket, separate from the clutch pedal. I never realized there were so many different applications of brake pedal, depending on manual or auto, PB or standard, and probably some other criteria I haven't thought of yet.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
It's a rebuilt hanger and pedals from ebay, originally for a non power brake application. I installed the power brake pedal, and as per the photos, it's too long.
Yes, but do you know if they are original or repro pedals?

I never realized there were so many different applications of brake pedal, depending on manual or auto, PB or standard, and probably some other criteria I haven't thought of yet.
For 67 I believe there were 4 different brake pedals to cover the combinations of transmission and brake assist:
MT MB (manual trans, manual brakes)
AT MB
MT PB
AT PB

Paul

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, but do you know if they are original or repro pedals?

For 67 I believe there were 4 different brake pedals to cover the combinations of transmission and brake assist:
MT MB (manual trans, manual brakes)
AT MB
MT PB
AT PB

Paul
I got the pedal support and pedals at ebay, then changed the brake pedal for a power brake one. I believe the clutch pedal is OEM, it has a heavy powder coat on it as does the pedal support. The power brake pedal may be aftermarket, it looks new.

·
Registered
35,222 Posts
The installed height of the pedal pad should be the same for all 67-70 pedals regardless of year, manual/power, or clutch. Any variation would be due to defect, bend, or wear.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do you mean "after alignment" ??
Bend the pedal "arm" so that both pedals are parallel. At the start of this thread, in the second photo I posted, the pedals are cockeyed. After a little tweaking they are straight as shown in the first photo. I used a special tool to tweak them that was on loan from the Factory Five community.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts