Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the link:Ford : Mustang - eBay (item 290524886817 end time Jan-29-11 09:54:33 PST)

The owner says that there are no Vin numbers on aprons or Shelby tags,apparently eaten by rust,I find hard to believe that anybody that wants to restore this as a Shelby cannot verify that its a true Shelby and if it is: at the time of selling it how can you convince the prospective buyer that this is the real thing?. What do you guys/gals think?

·
Registered
669 Posts
This looks like a screwjob in the making to me...just the answers to the posted questions make me nervous.

Unless you have gobs of cash and don't really care about how it's spent restoring this "Shelby" it doesn't make sense to me. This car will need gobs of TLC & time...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
could be real, but the guy who is selling it must be a Newb, because it's obvious that it's a '68 based on the marker lights in the fenders and quarters.

I say BS. there has to be a VIN somewhere on that car.

I looked at the E-BAY sale and the current bid is up to $19k. I don't care if it's a Shelby or not, it's not worth that much in that condition.

my $.02

·
Registered
1969 Mustang GT Convertible
572 Posts
I agree, this guy is obviously a Newb or is hiding something. This is a 1968 Deluxe interior, not a 67. Also, the passenger dash emblem is for a Mustang, not a Shelby. I would stay far away from this one. Also suprised by the number of bids. Very suspicious.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Judging by where the bidding is at the moment I suppose that they are bidding on it as it where a Shelby. I wonder where he got did the Vin number that appears in ad?

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
The seller seems very unwilling to give up much information.

Q: Can you tell us who looked @ the car to verify it as a 67 Shelby? Thanks Mike Jan-21-11

A: Didn't take a contact #. Sorry. He came from Connecicut. Name was Keven. Left saying, he will watch the auction. Some one who looked at the car before the Auction from NJ before I put it on E-Bay. Offered $15,000.oo. I said I would try E-bay first. Hoping to get $50.000.00 for it. TY, Mike...
He had some random guy come out to verify that it is a Shelby, but he doesn't have his contact information?

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1,242 Posts
NO, I would bet this is a mustang with a few shelby parts thown on. wrong interior trim, wrong badging, all wrong front end parts (headlight buckets, grille, hood, fenders, should not have side marker lights on the quarters. wrong rear lights, wrong steering wheel. Should have a indash tach. Someone is going to get ripped.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
You have got to be kidding. Only $19,000 bid for that very special late 67 early 68 Sheby. If I could get it to the BJ auction by tomorrow I could get $99,000 for it. Signed, Carol Shalby

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
And not even a K code. Just an aftermarket Holley on some random small block. And if it's the 68 289 (which it probably is) it's just more insult to injury.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
It sure as heck isn't a '67 shelby, and there's probable enough questions wheter it's a '68 Shelby, but it sure seems to be full of snake oil and ventilation shafts!

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
No way this thing is a '67 or '68 Shelby. Nothing points to it otherwise.

The California Headlight and the Shelby Factory Roll bar are a bit of a mystery... My guess is that the parts were transferred from a trashed '67 Shelby... If I was a betting man.. Could also be a Special order '68 Fastback ordered for racing, and then "Shelbyized" by someone back in the day..

Tony K.

·
I won a special award
7,410 Posts
I'm calling B.S. If that's a real Shelby, than I've got one of the Bud Moore 1970 Boss 302 Team race cars. That car is just a 68 with some Shelby parts thrown on it. It's got drum brakes up front. Someone is in for a rude wake up when they get a pile of rust for $20k.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
This guy is looking for a sucker ! 68 Fastback w/ deluxe interior, Shelby scoops, decklid , shelby rollbar and rear valance and that is about it....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Now why would you doubt this guy???????????????/

Happens all the time, someone installs '68 quarters and a '68 interrior into a '67 Shelby, then lets it sit out untill it's rusted beyond regognition.

" please read the ad! Can't find any paper work. No tag on the car. The area where the tag would be rotted away. THANKYOU, Mike..... "

And why would we doubt some guy named Kevin that it's a real Shelby. I'm sure it's all on the up and up.

And WOW, only 19k might take it home!! What a deal!!

Steven

1 - 20 of 164 Posts