Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, it's a really dumb question for a newbie much less someone like me.... But I still don't know the answer. I've mostly been involved with 67/68's and they don't have this fancy rimblow stuff.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to "beep" it but it seemed like it didn't budge with my fingertips. Are they hard to beep?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yes, that's a Rimblow wheel...from a '70. And I'll eventually need one of those. ;)

I also wonder how those work, for I've never used one myself.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I found mine takes a pretty full grasp with finger tips. The rubber part gets damaged easily and is replaceable. I've heard some say it set off the horn too easily. I don't have that issue.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
dustyrelics said:
I tried to "beep" it but it seemed like it didn't budge with my fingertips. Are they hard to beep?
I have to press (dig in) pretty hard with my fingers to make it honk, and it doesn't honk in the entire area of the insert. They get old and go bad, but I hear that it's a fairly easy fix.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
The wheel is a rimblow steering wheel which is an option with a deluxe interior. It seems to be missing the exterior chrome trim strip which is inset around the outside circumferance. You can come close to the original look by purchasing a roll of chrome striping tape in 1/16th inch or so width, cut a strip, then laying it down inside the recess of the steering wheel. The centerpad is reproduced as are the three inserts which go into the spokes of the pad. What looks nice is to remove the spokes and glue on wood veneer that is stained and oiled to match the dash. The rim blow switch is also reproduced, but is pricey at around $100. I found the switches very difficult to install. They are also extremely sensitive to being crushed, which shorts the switch out. I purchased 3 NOS switches and only 1 of the 3 was good.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I've heard some say it set off the horn too easily. I don't have that issue.
My car has manual steering and I am always blowing the horn because I need to get a good grasp on the wheel to turn it and it is hard to do with a rimblow without blowing the horn.

·
Registered
27 Posts
dustyrelics said:
This from the MercuryCougar.net Forum regarding this same question:

The horns on all my cougars never worked well. Ford wired them straight from power source to wheel to horn. As soon as the contacts are a little dirty or worn, you get either no horn or very week horn. Install a relay in the system like most every other car has and the problem should be solved. It take good clean power to sound the horn but does not take much to get a small relay to shut. Once it shuts, power is straight to the horns. I did it with my '69 that has the rim blow. I could barely get the horn to sound no matter where I squeezed the wheel. Installed a little relay, now you can hear it three streets down no matter where I squeeze the wheel.......
.....Relay has 4 terminals. A & B activate the relay. C & D let current through when the relay is closed. Wire from steering wheel contact which now ends up at the driver horn will now be attached to terminal A. Terminal B will go to ground. This way now press your horn contact on steering and the relay will activate. Run a wire from Batt side of starter relay to terminal C of relay. Lastly attach wire that hooks to terminal on both horns to terminal D of the relay. Job done! The only wire you actually have to cut is the one coming from the steering contact to the horns.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Mine was totally rebuided with new everything, it's well installed. but keeps setting it off for nothing all the time...i't very annoying, but that's how they are i guess....

·
Registered
277 Posts
The original rimblow horn switches and some of the repo's can be a bitch to install. Our switches were made to be harder to blow the horn, so your not accidently blowing it every time your trying to park or just turn. They are easier to install and don't break as easy during installation. The switches for the 69's can still be broken during installation (ask me how I know) You really have to make sure the groove is cleaned out and is still the right size. We send a groove tool with every switch. I you every have a rimblow question or problem, send me an email or call us during business hours at (623)340-2379
Thanks
The Rimblow Buddy
Dave Prine
www.therimblowbuddy.com

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
The same wheel was used from 70-73. The 69 wheel and switch was different.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, is this a 69 rimblow wheel?? The center horn pad does not move at all. I didn't unwrap the wheel to see if it had the rubber strip. But can you tell from this picture?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Mach_One said:
Mine was totally rebuided with new everything, it's well installed. but keeps setting it off for nothing all the time...i't very annoying, but that's how they are i guess....
That's why I finally disconnected mine. Every turn I would beep the horn. It was very sensitive and annoying.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Sorry, I am blocked from seeing the picture but the 69 wheel has circular inserts in the pad. The 70-73 wheel has long triangular inserts in the pad.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These are some of the parts that come with the S-code coupe I was talking about on another post. I didn't know what the console was from having never owned a 71-73. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Anytime. I have one that came from my uncle's car, which is why i recognized it. I don't know if they are the same for all three years, but it looks identical to the one from his 71. It should have a clock in the raised up portion where it fits under the dash.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts