Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the hunt for a classic Mustang. Lately I have seen some older ('65- '67) Mustangs that have upgraded drive trains which I like, but the interior has been changed out to newer (2003+) interiors. The seat change would be ok for what I want, but the newer dash/column/wheel replacement takes away the classic look.
Is this a trend now?

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
You mean Hillbilly "Bubbafying" a car....?!?? That's been around for decades!!!!! Hardly a trend...lol.... ;)

·
Dimples
3,520 Posts
This is not a trend. What you’re describing is something probably less than 100 people have ever done. You should have no problem finding dozens of other options for sale at any given time that have not had such a thing done to them.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I like LED instrument lights for a frequently driven car, and a hidden modern radio but that's as far as I'll go, as far as visible mods. I won't even do LED courtesy bulbs because they don't have that warm inviting look. One reason I love a classic Mustang is it doesn't have all the modern crap that causes problems ! ! And too much "stuff" certainly detracts from the vintage look. Modifying one a lot can show off somebody's fab skills but the reason I love my old cars is to get away from the modern world that isolates the driver from everything and is all "look at me and give me Likes".

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I've seen some high profile builders like The Roadster Shop and Ring Brothers do the same thing for cars they take to Sema or they just build a one off custom interior just for that specific car a lot of the time.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
Trend? No. But some folk will do some things that most might see as odd or ill-advised. Some believe wholeheartedly that bone stock is the one true path. I daresay had you asked this question in the Mod and Custom Forum here at VMF you would not have received a few of the answers you see above. The M & C crowd really likes creative/imaginative stuff, whatever it is. Lord knows I'm not opposed to some innovations, my car has a few I've never seen elsewhere. Putting a modern dash or steering wheel in it though never crossed my mind, I'm happy to say.

Ya wanna know one little pet peeve I have with some classic car builds though? When they stick some sort of modern screen display in the dash or console somewhere.
Now, why exactly a silly little thing like that bugs me I can't really say. It just does. :shrug:

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
The Ring Brothers and Steve Strope are absolutely the best out there when it come to modifications. Hands Down.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just sticking modern seats in a classic is just yuck!

·
Registered
300 Posts
And yet the original seats are often the first things to be ditched, because, you guessed it, yuck! :wink:
Embrace the old seat yuck!:grin2:

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Just sticking modern seats in a classic is just yuck!
Yep
And yet the original seats are often the first things to be ditched, because, you guessed it, yuck! :wink:
Yep

I'm auto crossing with factory seats and am getting better and finding it harder to stay in the seat. It's a dilemma! I hate the look of modern seats in a vintage Mustang but would like to concentrate more on the next corner instead of how to stay in the seat.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
Yep

Yep

I'm auto crossing with factory seats and am getting better and finding it harder to stay in the seat. It's a dilemma! I hate the look of modern seats in a vintage Mustang but would like to concentrate more on the next corner instead of how to stay in the seat.
Procars might be your answer ,they have some high back nicely bolstered vintage looking ish seats

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The Ring Brothers and Steve Strope are absolutely the best out there when it come to modifications. Hands Down.

:eek:)

Tony K.
if I was ever to have a car built, Pure Vision would be the only shop i'd use, his designs are hands down the best out there as far as i'm concerned.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
I hear you. I really wanted decent seats but didn't want them to look too out of period for the car. The seats I chose for mine are of a design now 40+ years old (BMW) so I can tell myself they don't look all that modern. :grin2:
Do they hold me in? Oh, hell yes. Did they cost me a small fortune? Oh hell, yes. :yoho:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I think the newer seats are more readily available and easier to install than taking on the project of restoring the originals.
If you're building the car to race, have at it. Go for the seat that keeps you planted.
As far as comfort, I've got more compliments on how comfortable the seats are in my baby, and I agree with them. I can't sit in my bride's Subaru for more than a half hour... I'll stop here... before I start sounding like an old guy...

·
Registered
298 Posts
I think the problem you're experiencing is that the further you get from the original car, the higher likelihood that someone has made quality of life improvements for themselves. It's much easier to permanently modify something that you think you're going to keep forever. But I don't think that means there's a trend. Just that these cars are getting older and more long-term owners are modifying them to be more comfortable for themselves. Resale doesn't come into play.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
There are custom seats from TMI with recline and side bolsters etc now that are upholstered to look like the originals, with or without deluxe interior I think.

I like to drive, my wife likes to sleep, I'd like to take my car to the beach etc but she won't ride in it because "it's not comfortable ". Whatever.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
I've seen a couple of what the OP is talking about. It can be done tastefully, and to echo a common reply here, it's your car, do what you want with it. I will also add to that, don't expect anyone else to love what you've done. I see lots of interesting things being done on the Crown Vic chassis, like pickup trucks and panel vans and other 'framed' cars. There's also vintage skins for your modern ride to make your newish Mustang look like a first gen. NMCOT. This is someone doing a conversion like that. Looks too fat to me.
I enjoy the classic lines, but have also toyed with a couple of other ideas. A 67 with the 65/66 fastback roof (to me the curves seem more appropriate to the body) and what would Ghia have done with one back in the day (and before Ford bought them and slapped that badge on anything that wasn't selling enough).
and there's always the one off Bertone:
https://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/newsroom/2015/bertone-built-a-mustang-in-1965---but-it-hasnt-been-seen-since-.html

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Modern drivetrain, big wheels, modern interior, sounds like a new Mustang is the way to go.

Less expensive, period correct, more creature comforts.

A classic is not for everyone.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts