Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
To me its all about finding the RIGHT seats. It took me years to find a seat for autocross that has some side support that doesn't dominate the interior. Seats in a vintage mustang are relatively small part of the interior landscape allowing the viewer from outside the car to see the full interior and soak in the Vintique (should be a triple word score but I don't think its a real word). Larger seats like TMI, Fox and most BMW seats dominate the landscape, become a focal point drawing the eye to a modern aesthetic which I find most objectionable. AND, they put your helmet in the headliner.

I went to buy some cheap BMW E30 seats and saw the perfect seats on a shelf, BMW E21 seats. It took me 3 months of bugging the guy to get him to let go of them. I finally closed the deal by showing up with the Mustang unannounced and getting him to admit they were perfect for my car. I then put 3 folded Benjamins in his hand and surprisingly he took them to count them while still thinking. I could tell he did not want to part with them so I just waited patiently till the seats came home with me. Then I found out that they were worth double what I paid and are skyrocketting now. hee hee...

·
Dimples
3,466 Posts
How did we go from a full SN95 interior swap discussion to an indictment of all non-stock seats?

With modern or aftermarket seats, you’re always 8 nuts away from changing back to stock so it’s really not that big of a deal.

I really disliked the stock seats, and love my new Acura seats.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yep

Yep

I'm auto crossing with factory seats and am getting better and finding it harder to stay in the seat. It's a dilemma! I hate the look of modern seats in a vintage Mustang but would like to concentrate more on the next corner instead of how to stay in the seat.

As 2nd66 mentioned, the Procar seats might be a happy medium

Sent from the interwebs

·
Dimples
3,466 Posts
I think Procar seats look great, but they’re so far from stock looking, I don’t see how they’re much of a half step. More like another great aftermarket option.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think Procar seats look great, but they’re so far from stock looking, I don’t see how they’re much of a half step. More like another great aftermarket option.

1/3 step? Definitely not stock looking, but they have a vintage feel that makes it seem at home. Or not. Dunno.

But I do agree they are a great aftermarket option!

Sent from the interwebs

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have put other seats in a couple of the classic mustangs I have owned for various reasons(the first because I wanted something more comfortable that reclined, the 2nd because I wanted something that would hold me in place better around the curves and it didnt come with any seats anyway) but these days I am all about the stock seats. I would never for a minute consider swapping out the classic dash(though at one point I DID consider grafting a 67 dash into a 66, I never actually did it). If you get behind the wheel and the car looks like a modern car...why are you driving a classic? After all...you spend all your time INSIDE the car...so the interior for me is almost sacred now, even if you choose to modify other parts(which is fine) as long as you still feel like you are driving a classic car when you get behind the wheel.

The main difference between driving a vintage car and a modern car is that the vintage car assumes the driver is competent. Competent enough to drive without assistance, competent enough to check their own tire pressure, competent enough to know when to change their own oil, competent enough to have a spare tire in the trunk. Modern cars are all about enabling driver incompetence.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Has anyone tried the TMI Sport R foam and upholstery? It seems to hit the happy medium for looks, but it is pricey and I hear it raises the height of the front seats a bit.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I like LED instrument lights for a frequently driven car, and a hidden modern radio but that's as far as I'll go, as far as visible mods. I won't even do LED courtesy bulbs because they don't have that warm inviting look. One reason I love a classic Mustang is it doesn't have all the modern crap that causes problems ! ! And too much "stuff" certainly detracts from the vintage look. Modifying one a lot can show off somebody's fab skills but the reason I love my old cars is to get away from the modern world that isolates the driver from everything and is all "look at me and give me Likes".
I'm only going to comment on the LED courtesy bulbs. I had the bright white ones and didn't like them, but still wanted LED as they don't generate much heat. I finally found ones at Super Bright LEDs that are warm white in color, give off that yellow glow, and they are a pretty close match to the old incasendant bulbs color.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Has anyone tried the TMI Sport R foam and upholstery? It seems to hit the happy medium for looks, but it is pricey and I hear it raises the height of the front seats a bit.
Yes, I have that in my car. It does raise the seat height, but it keeps you glued into the seat when taking the twisty turns quite nicely. For keeping the stock seat frames I think it is a good compromise.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
I hear you. I really wanted decent seats but didn't want them to look too out of period for the car. The seats I chose for mine are of a design now 40+ years old (BMW) so I can tell myself they don't look all that modern. :grin2:
Do they hold me in? Oh, hell yes. Did they cost me a small fortune? Oh hell, yes. :yoho:
Those look nice! Did you use a shifter re-locator? I have one and would love to cover the linkage. Where did you get that console?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I haven't installed them yet, but TMI does make a modern classic version of the sport R seat. It is not seen on their website, I had to have the rep send me a picture of its appearance. I choose the vinyl I wanted to use and went with a seat back insert the kinda gives the comfort weave look. I also added headrests for safety (408 stroker)
For a custom interior I am happy with the look. I did matching rear seat upholstery too.
To each their own really.
This is my dream car, I do not ever plan to sell it and it will likely be passed down to my nephews if one of them is interested (I keep telling my sister to push classic cars on them)

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a set of the TMI Mach I Sport Rs complete on my 70 seat frames that I'm looking to sell. They look great and quality is top notch, but i ended up going a different direction with the interior. Corbeau Evolution seats <<Gasp!>>

·
Registered
300 Posts
Watch out when those side airbags deploy, Blake! :laugh: (They won't!)
I bet they're comfy- I worked on Hondas 25 years and sat in many Acuras; I can wire those bags in for you if you want!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
New seats are fine, but you know what looks odd about them...THE HEADREST

The headrest on all these modern seats make it look like you're cramming the seat into the car. That's all I see when you look at it from the outside. These seats are huge and overwhelm the look of it.

A lot of the expensive builds from Chip Foose, Kindig, etc. don't have the head rest because they look weird. Sure, a headrest is safer (I work in insurance and realize that), but they just don't look right in the car. They have a place for racing too, but just your average modded classic cruiser...they don't look too hot.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
New seats are fine, but you know what looks odd about them...THE HEADREST

The headrest on all these modern seats make it look like you're cramming the seat into the car. That's all I see when you look at it from the outside. These seats are huge and overwhelm the look of it.

A lot of the expensive builds from Chip Foose, Kindig, etc. don't have the head rest because they look weird. Sure, a headrest is safer (I work in insurance and realize that), but they just don't look right in the car. They have a place for racing too, but just your average modded classic cruiser...they don't look too hot.
If you dont like headrests, want a classic seat with somewhat more bolstering that will look right at home in a classic mustang:

You can look for some 69-74 MK1 Capri seats....hard to find in the states, but not impossible.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts